• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Scalloway Fish Market

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8651 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:48 PM

I guess profit and greed wins the day !

Does it though, or is it an artificial market created by the EU?

Does fish caught in Shetland waters sell for as high prices when its landed in France, Spain, Holland, Germany, Faroe, Norway and wherever else all the boats coming here are from?

If more of what's caught around us was landed here, mightn't it result in at least a small price drop, from which no-one loses as the increased volume caught and sold more than makes up for it.

It certainly would have to be better than local boats having to dump tons of dead fish, simply because Brussels had given the lion's share of the quota for that species to someone on the Continent and the locals had already used up what little they'd gotten.

• whalsa and tiodylb17 like this

#22 whalsa

whalsa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:05 AM

Yes there buying it but isn't it a shame that a deal can be brokered with the fisherman and the schools to provide a source of healthy food which is abundant in the seas around the island ?

I guess profit and greed wins the day !

I have a feeling this may be due to EU/Scottish procurement/state aid regulations rather than down to "profit and greed". The fishermen do not control the prices. 

#23 Property2017

Property2017

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Yes they don't control the prices but they do have the option not to sell everything to the highest bidder, as a collective all the fisherman could get together and agree to sell fish to the schools food procurement at a fixed price so the kids could get it more than once a fortnight.

• BigMouth and tiodylb17 like this

#24 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

I suppose if the fishermen weren't in it for money they would simply sign-on.  We live in a capitalist world. even China is running on capitalism.  Maybe hae ta got a piltock waand an mak fur da craigs.

• whalsa likes this

#25 ll

ll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Most be a good percentage of crews on local boats that are not even British now. Is there a shortage of locals wanting to go to the fishing or is this just cheap labour. With NAFC and new markets being built, they would be more justifiable if all the benefits were staying in the isles.
  • tiodylb17 likes this

#26 tiodylb17

tiodylb17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

Who supplies the schools here with their fish ?

#27 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

I was told of a local lad who went off in his boat fishing and caught a lot of fish, so he cleaned and probably filleted most of them,then though that he would be really generous and took a "fry" to one of the care centres only to be told when he got there that they could not accept his kind offer as it was against regulations.

I bet it was a lot fresher and cleaner than the "2 sisters" chicken that they probably had for lunch !

• Frances144, brecken, whalsa and 1 other like this

#28 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3722 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

That is so sad.

I hate waste. I really do.

An Aside:  Do Shetland schools cook with Shetland lamb?

#29 tiodylb17

tiodylb17

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

Is lamb even on the menu at the schools ?

#30 shetlander

shetlander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

It depends on the individual school as they all have different menus.

According to the Bells Brae website 'All school meals in Shetland's schools are prepared freshly each day, with 100% of fish and milk coming from local sources, as well as 80% of meat used'.

I always thought they used local milk and fish - not sure about meat. Something being supplied by a local company doesn't necessarily mean it's locally caught or reared though.

• whalsa likes this

#31 whalsa

whalsa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

^^^ Yes I very much suspect that figures mean it comes from a local wholesaler, no guarantees it is locally sourced. 

We should be trying to use as much local produce as possible but regulations make it difficult to do so. 

#32 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3722 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

If the meat/fish is deemed fit to be sold south, why is it not deemed fit to be sold to the local schools.

Reducing food miles is very important, though rarely considered.

I suspect under-cutting budget wholesalers/suppliers have the whole thing stitched up and the words "regular suppliers", etc will not matter.  Real food is grown according to season and folk want fresh raspberry trifle all year round.

#33 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

If the meat/fish is deemed fit to be sold south, why is it not deemed fit to be sold to the local schools.

I suspect under-cutting budget wholesalers/suppliers have the whole thing stitched up and the words "regular suppliers", etc will not matter.  Real food is grown according to season and folk want fresh raspberry trifle all year round.

Surely the S.I.C have the ability to go to the fish market themselves, after all, they own it. Then they could feed the children that they claim to look after with good, fresh fish. I'm sure that they could do the same with local lamb, too - but only if they made the effort. Unfortunately, they probably buy the stuff that has sailed all the way from New Zealand.

• tiodylb17 likes this

#34 whalsa

whalsa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

Surely the S.I.C have the ability to go to the fish market themselves, after all, they own it. Then they could feed the children that they claim to look after with good, fresh fish. I'm sure that they could do the same with local lamb, too - but only if they made the effort. Unfortunately, they probably buy the stuff that has sailed all the way from New Zealand.

I don't think it is that simple George. Procurement and state aid regulations see to that. This is something I am thinking to look into though to see if anything can be done. 

• George. and tiodylb17 like this

#35 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8651 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:43 AM

As I understand it, meat used by local public contracts (schools, hospital, hostel, care homes etc) is almost certainly all or virtually all imported.

The problem is that these contracts tend to be very specific (read cheap cuts - mince, stew etc) in what they want, and its not cost effective due to the relatively low volume concerned for the slaughterhouse to install a processing line to cater to them, and its not practical for the local meat wholesaler to source meat in whole, half or quarter carcass amounts such as the slaughterhouse can viably supply, due to him not having a market for the volume of more expensive cuts he'd have on his hands as a result of supplying the public contracts with predominantly cheaper cuts only. So it only works for him to ship in the amounts he needs from a larger slaughterhouse/processor who can cope with it by being large enough to absorb it on account of the greater volume/diversity of customer base they're catering to.

Were the local slaughterhouse able to secure a contract with one or both local supermarkets it might well have made things very different, but the last I heard of them attempting this with Tesco, the T&C's Tesco insisted were complied with concerning processing, packaging, labelling etc were such that to comply they'd never have made money on the investment required. I really cannot understand why Tesco are/were so damn fussy, as their meat is the biggest pile of crap going despite it all.

So, while local public contracts may well be serving up beef and lamd that was locally born and reared, if they are it will almost certainly have been shipped south and then back again, even if for nothing else than to be slaughtered and processed.

Fish, I don't know, but given the nature of it and the volume of supply of virtually all commercial species, I would hope that at least a local supplier would be providing locally caught and locally processed fish, BUT, where Govt. red tape and civil servants dictate, absolutely nothing would surprise me.

• whalsa, George. and tiodylb17 like this

#36 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

I'm surprised that the councils do not have a centralised distribution center serving the whole of the uk, bulk buying and providing all the council schools,care homes ,hostels ect. not only with food but anything and everything.

They are years behind in there procurement  methods.

Tesco ,Coop ect all have there own large distribution depots this is how they are able to reduce operating costs there by giving us their customers better prices in most cases. 

Their could be a "council"   fish buyer stationed here in Shetland supplying the whole of the UKs public establishments with the very best quality fish,and another at the Marts bidding for the best of Shetland meat.  :ponders:

• Frances144 likes this

#37 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

I'm surprised that the councils do not have a centralised distribution center serving the whole of the uk, bulk buying and providing all the council schools,care homes ,hostels ect. not only with food but anything and everything.

Tesco ,Coop ect all have there own large distribution depots this is how they are able to reduce operating costs there by giving us their customers better prices in most cases. 

Their could be a "council"   fish buyer stationed here in Shetland supplying the whole of the UKs public establishments with the very best quality fish,and another at the Marts bidding for the best of Shetland meat.  :ponders:

Urabug, if there was a centalised distribution centre covering the whole of the U.K, all the fish would be landed in either Devon or Cornwall, while the milk, beef, lamb and pork would be farmed on duchy land at the south end of England. Everything from elsewhere would be deemed inedible and anybody caught trying to sell it would serve life at Wormwood Scrubs.

It would kill Shetland.

#38 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:40 PM

Urabug, if there was a centalised distribution centre covering the whole of the U.K, all the fish would be landed in either Devon or Cornwall, while the milk, beef, lamb and pork would be farmed on duchy land at the south end of England. Everything from elsewhere would be deemed inedible and anybody caught trying to sell it would serve life at Wormwood Scrubs.

It would kill Shetland.

No No peerie Nicola would see to that!

#39 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8651 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:36 PM

On the basis that thats the philosophy which brought us the new "two sheds" AHS 'erection', maybe, lets not go there until we see how "two sheds" works out in the bit longer term.

• Urabug likes this

#40 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

It would kill Shetland.

No No peerie Nicola would see to that!

Some proof to back up the statement would be nice.