• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Lerwick town centre

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#41 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3580 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:17 PM

I for one would be happy to have a slow meander down the street exploring the shops (and spending cash) if I didn't feel my two small children were about to get mown down at any moment... as it is I tend to get in and get out asap. 

My aim if I win enough on the lottery is to hire some large but friendly guys, a lawyer to check that what we do is legal and then get them to walk up the street very very slowly blocking all illegal traffic but of course giving way to disabled badge holders although slightly reluctantly in some cases.

• BigMouth likes this

#42 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:39 AM

surely if shops gain no trade by cars being able to park outside for free supermarkets and shopping centres all over the country would cashing in selling there land local examples exist of the benefits to trade seen by more parking look at bolts after they got rid of there pumps yet it was only 30 metres to walk from there car park at the toll clock but people still wanted to be able to stop outside the door

I don't think anyone would argue with you on that point, Rum Lover, certainly not me.

The problem we have is the suitability of the street itself for traffic. As you've pointed out, rather than use the large car park at the Toll Clock, people would sooner jam into the very restricted parking where the pumps used to be rather than walk a few extra metres.

The same applies on the street, there's plenty of free parking (and there art thou happy) within metres of the street but, given the green light, all the lazy half-wits currently jamming up the Toll Clock and their brethren will have the Street looking like a log jam and to hell with anyone who dares to get in between them and their 'right' to park there.

Burn them, burn them all I say!

• BigMouth likes this

#43 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Can't we just have a public stoning?  That way, we can all get a bit of the 'action'

• Scorrie likes this

#44 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

Stocks at the Cross - Pay per view, rotten fruit and veg to throw at extra cost. Definitely a money spinner there.

• Gorgonzola Butt-cheese and Scorrie like this

#45 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:38 PM

Why should 'money' always come into the equation.  Surely, the good citizens of Lerwick would be willing to provide such a public service(?) for free.... :thmbsup

Edited by Colin, 23 August 2015 - 04:38 PM.

#46 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:13 PM

Why should 'money' always come into the equation.  Surely, the good citizens of Lerwick would be willing to provide such a public service(?) for free.... :thmbsup

So, Colin, you'll be first IN the stocks then eh? ;-)

#47 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:05 AM

Strange, nobody that drives along Commercial Street has stood up to defend themselves B)

#48 Scorrie

Scorrie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1205 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

Strange, nobody that drives along Commercial Street has stood up to defend themselves B)

They're all too busy queuing for a space to park outside the bank.....

• George. likes this

#49 Fly-on-the-Wall

Fly-on-the-Wall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

Queuing........ don't they just go round and round in circles until they can get parked?

#50 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:50 AM

Why would that be?

Given that I haven't driven a car in 20 years and, I only once had to drive on the street, it would seem that I might be a pretty poor candidate. 

You're just taking a "pop" aren't you?  :mrgreen:

#51 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:24 PM

Why would that be?

Given that I haven't driven a car in 20 years and, I only once had to drive on the street, it would seem that I might be a pretty poor candidate. 

You're just taking a "pop" aren't you?  :mrgreen:

I wasn't aware it was aimed at car drivers only.  Besides, think of the free entertainment value. ;-)

#52 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:18 PM

"I wasn't aware it was aimed at car drivers only.  Besides, think of the free entertainment value. ;-)"

It's not. but, might I suggest "ladies first" :thmbsup

#53 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

"I wasn't aware it was aimed at car drivers only.  Besides, think of the free entertainment value. ;-)"

It's not. but, might I suggest "ladies first" :thmbsup

You do realise that I have never identified myself as being a lady, right?  And no, that doesn't mean you can say "Women and children first". ;-)

#54 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:48 PM

You heard it here first folks.... :rofl:

#55 greenman

greenman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:20 PM

Seems all there is along d street is empty premises and charity shops. It is so run down. Wonder what all those cruise liner passengers think.

#56 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:37 PM

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

30+ years ago there were very, very few cars on the street during business hours. The few that were either had a damn good reason to be there, or were crazy, as with the number of folk that was on the street, progress in a lot of places was slower than walking, if not a dead stop. Wheeling a hand barrow or carrying a delivery basket through the place was challenge enough most days given the average density of humanity, and I speak from experience on that one.

So which are we to believe, that car drivers have persisted in such number for so long thats its driven so many folk away from the street to the point it by all appearances is in a terminal condition, or did the terminal decline start first, and the increase in cars is simply a side effect of that, with drivers seeing the street as increasingly more viable due to the steady decline of folk using it.

#57 DizzyKipper

DizzyKipper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

Once I was very nearly squashed by an old couple driving the wrong way, into and alongside the traffic, toward the postoffice. Hmmm.

#58 ll

ll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:17 AM

Another street business on the market:

http://www.chris-har...ies.aspx?loc=53

#59 concerned shetlander

concerned shetlander

• Members
  • PipPip