Virtual Reality - Anyone indulging in Shetland?

Guest Fetlar Writer

Guest Fetlar Writer

When we live as remote as we do (some more than others) it's quite good to meet folk all round the world via VR - me and hubby bought an Oculus Rift each and have delved into various events: Sparc (Like playing a game in the latest Tron film- awesome), AltSpace - real-time events for everyone, VTime - chat to strangers in various odd locations such as deep sea and Arctic scenery, table tennis (my fav, and very real), boxing, and other great options such as 3D videos and BigScreen (watch films with other folks).

Was wondering if it was a 'thing' for anyone else up here?

On February 27th, 8pm-8.45pm, I shall be hosting a live event on AltSpace (3d and 2d viewing) reading from my debut novel published last year. More about that later.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've myself an Oculus Rift DK2 unit, the Nature Treks VR is nice as my mum and I can experience what it is like to wander among the trees again, which are in such short supply here !

I'm very slowly learning to use it in Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS setup, and looking forward to programming with it, as I've an interest in games, applications and telepresence development, so perhaps one day I can mow our lawn without needing to venture into hostile midge territory. :-)

Guest Fetlar Writer

as I've an interest in games, applications and telepresence development, so perhaps one day I can mow our lawn without needing to venture into hostile midge territory. :-)

Like it Nigel! And of course the Oculus 'Home' doesn't need dusting or hoovering either!  :mrgreen:

I'm not much of a gamer, I prefer the beautiful walk-throughs (I have Nature Treks VR too) and am primarily interested in the future use in 3d applications such as nested concepts in any academic subjects, story-telling (of course) and are really keen on full immersion in space-like, furturistic settings. Flying around the moon is a lot of fun, not good for height-sick folk but wow, I really feel like I'm in space! I downloaded some of the free history presentations and walked among sacred homesteads... my only niggle is still resolution, so sometimes I toy with the idea of selling the rift and waiting until the tech improves.

Do you have the CV1 model ?

I'll need to upgrade my PC a bit before I can upgrade to the CV1 model, and that is penciled into my todo list sometime in 2020, assuming it can work with my aging Q9550 CPU. :-)

I wonder how long before resolution really hits the spot.

Be nice as well to have in VR, keyboards !

As its no fun flying around in space not being able to type anything..

Related link:

https://www.roadtovr.com/logitech-bridge-development-kit-vr-keyboard-typing/

I wonder if there are any drone VR options out there ?

Guest Fetlar Writer

Do you have the CV1 model ?

I'll need to upgrade my PC a bit before I can upgrade to the CV1 model, and that is penciled into my todo list sometime in 2020, assuming it can work with my aging Q9550 CPU. :-)

I wonder how long before resolution really hits the spot.

Be nice as well to have in VR, keyboards !

As its no fun flying around in space not being able to type anything..

Related link:

https://www.roadtovr.com/logitech-bridge-development-kit-vr-keyboard-typing/

I wonder if there are any drone VR options out there ?

i do have the CV1 - but it's on the limits of what my graphics card can cope with, but it works fine. Titan Black - and hubby has a GTX 1080.

VR keyboards - do you need to type when you can talk?  :ponders: I know what you mean, there should be nothing standing in your way of communicating - bringing up data from web and personal websites etc. I mean - it's a bit daft to be flying in futuristic worlds but still holding pencils!  :roll:  But then, can you imagine the turd-hot graphics cards required in the future? Our computer cases will look like something out of the sixties; remember those pics where burly men wheel in massive 58mb drives?  :razz:

Drone VR? Now we're talking! I shall keep an eye out... Have you seen the Oculus Homes? I guess not, being on an older model... They're quite fun. You get gifts for the amount of time you spend in VR - things to decorate your home - like massive metal warrior Goddesses, fully working blimps, space furniture, fairies that hide when you go close, hummingbirds... 

Edited by Fetlar Writer

GTX 750Ti here, looking to upgrade to a GTX 1060 in the future, maybe if funds permit, a 1080Ti, have to upgrade the PSU first. :-)

I tend to be a typer, as I find voice not very reliable, and voice commands don't work as well in practice as everyone else says they do !
(If everyone has an accent you don't understand, you spend half your time saying "what ?")

Plus, I'd much rather use a keyboard in games, than a HOTAS, as that takes a serious amount of practice to be any good with it !
(I reckon it might easily take me 1 to 2 years just to become proficient with it..)

Plus, text is low bandwidth, an important consideration when you live on a small island at the end of the digital line. :-)

Though I think you have better speeds over on your little island than mine ?
(7Mbit ADSL here. (Was one reason why I wanted this spot, as its not far from the exchange, meanwhile on the edge of the island, we was getting a ping of 1,200ms and a download speed slower than a 56k modem..))

Plus I want to use VR for applications, like say, forums..

My computer case already looks like something out of the sixties. :-)

http://www.solarvelomobile.com/desk.jpg

Note the back of the desk has removable panels with air vents on, so you have full access to all the cabling, and room for two full tower PC's at the bottom, which keeps them quiet and well away from spilt drinks !

Edited by Nigel Bridgman-Elliot