• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Recycle! Positive Comments Welcome

recycle plastic tins bins glass

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#361 BGDDisco

BGDDisco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

Walrus Wheelie Bin Brackets now available nationwide. Tell all your friends and relatives 'doon-the-road' to visit walrusbracket.co.uk and place their order.

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot likes this

#362 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3232 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

It may just be a coincidence but when I was at the Gremista dump today the skip was full of cardboard boxes.

#363 BGDDisco

BGDDisco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:27 PM

What's a man meant tae do wi a cardboard box? Not sure what da right answer is.

Personally I recycle as far as I can, using them for mackerel trace hooking avoidance.

Other ideas greatly accepted.

#364 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:48 PM

What's a man meant tae do wi a cardboard box? 

Sometimes I keep a new pair of shoes in a cardboard box.

• The Cleaner likes this

#365 BGDDisco

BGDDisco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

Essy Cart Men appreciate the Walrus Bracket

VIDEO

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot likes this

#366 PJS1979

PJS1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:22 AM

How much are the brackets ?

#367 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8987 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

SIBC Article.

Questions are being made on how much plastic waste being collected in Shetland under the new recycling scheme will actually be recycled. Up until now much of the plastic collected in Shetland was incinerated, producing heat for the heat to energy plant but there are now fears that much will head south to landfill.

That's nice......

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot, George. and The Cleaner like this

#368 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:42 PM

Got my wheelie bins today.. 

Got nowhere to store them and, 6 steps up to the road to get them emptied.  Better than some I suppose but, what is the point in having a bin reserved for paper when we use very little, do not buy newspapers, and what paper we do get goes into the rayburn ?

Also, what is the point of reserving the other one for plastic when most of it (plastic) cannot be re-cycled ?

We have a bit of glass that can be re-cycled but, apparently, we are expected to carry that (don't drive anymore) 3/4 of a mile to a skip because it will not be collected.

The biggest problem with the SIC's view of re-cycling is that it is not fit for purpose just isn't "flexible" enough for most people.

I'm willing to try and "do my bit" but, I'm I'm not really willing to waste my time fulfilling somebody else's pipedreams.

• Keedle, Auld Mossyface, Suffererof1crankymofo and 2 others like this

#369 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

The biggest problem with the SIC's view of re-cycling is that it is not fit for purpose just isn't "flexible" enough for most people.

It wasn't the S. I. C. that thought up the idea regarding recycling.

Scotland's zero waste plan

#370 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

You could always cycle to drop off glass to be recycled. :-)

That's what I'm planning to do, once I can cycle far enough..

I might meet folk doing the same thing !

Brackets are £15 I see.

#371 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

The Grey lidded bin is not reserved for plastics, but is for plastic bottles, Tins, Drinks cans and drinks cartons.

#372 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:31 PM

This is a potentially interesting scheme

http://www.shetnews....t-return-scheme

From the Zero Waste Scotland website

A Deposit Return Scheme for Scotland

Overview
Consultation on the options for distinct elements of a deposit return scheme on beverage containers, seeking views on which options will deliver the best results for Scotland.

Why We Are Consulting
We want to design a deposit return system that will work well for everyone in Scotland, providing increased recycling rates and quality of recycling, reductions in littering and business opportunities. We want a wide range of views as possible to help us design an effective system.

The responses to the consultation will help us to design an effective system. This will then go forward as regulations under the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009.

#373 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:02 PM

I think that it is a great idea. Puts a lot of the responsibility back on the retailers who, up until now (and along with manufacturers), seem to be getting away quite lightly.

Only problem I can see is that it might end up being corrupted into just another money making exercise with no real "bite".

• Davie P likes this

#374 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:11 AM

Puts a lot of the responsibility back on the retailers who, up until now (and along with manufacturers), seem to be getting away quite lightly.

Is the responsibility primarily on the retailers and manufacturers, or is it on the backs of Joe Public? As far as I'm aware the retailers and manufacturers aren't really the ones that make so much of a mess. Joe Public is the one that chucks it here, there and everywhere without any thought about it while the businesses are all too often seen to do their best to cause no more pollution than necessary. Not perfect but they make the effort.

Edited by George., 29 August 2018 - 02:12 AM.

#375 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:32 AM

Fair comments George but, I am not aware of any businesses (manufacturers or retailers) that offer to take back the "empties".

Wholesalers (wiith turnover over a certain turnover value), on the other hand, have to pay a levy to SEPA based on the amount of packaging waste they generate.

I honestly feel that if Coca Cola, and all the rest, place their products into millions of plastic bottles then, they should have to pay a levy for each bottle they use, and that the levy should then be used to properly dispose of the used items.  Start at the source/top, it's much more efficient !

Same for the massive amounts of coffee shops and their plastic cups and anyone else who contributes to "industrial scale" waste.

The money raised should then be used to set up proper recycling facilities and to try and educate the morons who seem to dump their rubbish anywhere and everywhere.

The charge on plastic bags that retailers have to make is both good, and bad. 

Good is that it raises the public's awareness in respect of the problems  the bags cause.

Bad is that the money generated is handed to local charities who appear to have nothing to do with trying to clean the environment.

#376 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1102 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

I honestly feel that if Coca Cola, and all the rest, place their products into millions of plastic bottles then, they should have to pay a levy for each bottle they use, and that the levy should then be used to properly dispose of the used items.  Start at the source/top, it's much more efficient !

Same for the massive amounts of coffee shops and their plastic cups and anyone else who contributes to "industrial scale" waste.

The money raised should then be used to set up proper recycling facilities and to try and educate the morons who seem to dump their rubbish anywhere and everywhere.

Nobody is perfect, Colin. Unfortunately, it is the common man that chucks his empty cans of Coca Cola anywhere and everywhere, not the man that got it ready to be marketed. Not just the cans but the bottles as well, regardless. Bottles of milk are plastic and have been for a while now. What is done about the plastic bottles of Shetland milk? An awful lot of it gets blown around Shetland before it lands in the Atlantic, and that doesn't happen until the common man has bought the plastic bottle of milk. Then the milk or juice, washing-up liquid, shampoo or a million and one other things is used and thrown away when the bottle is empty. The Scottish government has done what it can to try and recover the rubbish that Joe Public throws away willy nilly. Strange, because the farmer that bottles his milk never throws it all in the gutter when it's empty. It's the person that buys it that does that. Joe Public often does the same with every different plastic bottle that Tesco or whoever sells to the idiots that are too lazy.

Must think about where I can throw the empty plastic bottle of engine oil, because that's what the gallon of engine oil is now carried in,  now that half a gallon of it has been poured all over the engine and has then dripped all over the street, in the vain hope that half a pint will dribble into the sump. Just like cans and bottles of coke - and all the rest.

Does make me think about one thing that you mentioned, the fact that the manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers make no effort to recover the tins and bottles etc. Makes me wonder, how many purchasers would bother to take them back?

Edited by George., 29 August 2018 - 08:57 AM.

#377 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8987 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

Then there's this.....

http://www.shetnews....ycling-facility

In the space of a year a tin shed and a conveyor belt and a baler or so have increased in cost by over 25%. (The probability it'll be at least 50% over budget by the time its finished, just like most SIC jobs, we'll leave to another day).

So, what got us here, poorly estimated/costed in the report last July? Purposely understated in the July '17 report, so as make it a more (hopefully) palatable amount for Councillors/the public to swallow, and sneak the rest in 'later' in equally (hopefully) palatable increments, after a 'dignified' amount of time passes.....like now?

Surely not........There must be a far more regular and mundane 'explanation'...... right!?!

Pile of shi........'rubbish'. The lot of it. :evil:

Edited by Ghostrider, 29 August 2018 - 04:57 PM.

• Colin, Suffererof1crankymofo and The Cleaner like this

#378 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:26 PM

> deposit return system

Having experienced that elsewhere, it worked wonderfully well, even with empty crisp packets !

Make it pay enough and folk will go around making sure there is no rubbish left !

We might even have to start locking up our bins..

#379 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:28 PM

> There must be a far more regular and mundane 'explanation'.

I'm sure if there is one, someone will no doubt mention it in public so we are all kept up to speed on the issue.

I think they call it PR or something like that.

We might even be able to help out, if somehow they are being overcharged for something that one of us happens to know where they can get it cheaper, as I know how overstreached purchasing departments in the civil service/etc. can be, they need every helping hand they can get to cut costs.

#380 admin

admin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:35 PM

From Shetland News > Recycling picks up steam but isles still lag below average