• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Northlink ferries New tariff 2018

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 nesty

nesty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:22 AM

Hi 

I am looking to visit Shetland in 2018 as looks a really nice place.

I read last year, that the ferry prices were being dropped down in the first half of 2018. Is there any word on when this will happen in 2018?

#2 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:37 AM

Nothing yet.

https://www.transpor...erry-fares-cut/

#3 number 7

number 7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:40 AM

Im sure it was supposed to be in january 18 but im as usual it is way later

#4 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

No clearly says first half of 2018.

#5 nesty

nesty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

OK, many thanks all. I got a quote other day from Northlink for September. It appeared rather high.

I am keeping a look out for when new tariff, once it's finalized. I suppose with the ferry the more you book in advance better price you get? 

I do think the new tariff is a great idea. I do think many more tourists, will take up on the lower fares. to visit Shetland and Orkney! 

#6 The Cutty Sark

The Cutty Sark

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

It's not like flying where you will get a cheaper rate. The prices are fixed within each season. The costly aspects are A) Car and B) The cabin.

If you are coming by car, have a look at car rental on the island first it might be cheaper.

Cabins are extremely small and basic considering they cost the same as a couple of nights at a travel lodge. But I've used them once or twice. If you pay extra for an outside window cabin, just ensure get on the port side from Aberdeen and starboard leaving (you will see the Islands then, otherwise you will see the sea and you've paid extra for nothing). 

You can always slum it to save on costs. Bring a sleeping bag and a pillow and just sleep in the front lounge, many islanders do this, so you will not be out of place. Bring an eye mask though, they used to turn the lights off, but I don't think they do anymore. 

If there is just a couple of you. Consider flying and car rental, it might be cheaper than a ferry+cabin+car AND you get here in an hour or so!  if you book a few months in advance, you could get a return flight for around £150.00 pp, the nearer the time, the more expensive it gets though.

OK, many thanks all. I got a quote other day from Northlink for September. It appeared rather high.

I am keeping a look out for when new tariff, once it's finalized. I suppose with the ferry the more you book in advance better price you get? 

I do think the new tariff is a great idea. I do think many more tourists, will take up on the lower fares. to visit Shetland and Orkney! 

#7 nesty

nesty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

Many thanks for the advice. I am a solo traveller. I have been lightly toying with the flying, rental car & accommodation. I do like travelling in my VW campervan. However, I am very south and have 550 miles just to get to Aberdeen. Then a ferry crossing. Holiday then starts, but then have all the travelling again to get back home! That part of the trip, doesn’t fill me with joy!

I wonder if flying renting a car and B&B might be more pricey. Tho far less stress. I will enjoy holiday more.

I might have to do some sums. The aspect of without the campervan. I would have to eat out alone (unless find self catering) and pack wisely!

#8 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4004 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

There used to be a place that rented out VW campervans on Shetland.  Anyone know if they are still in business?

#9 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

Bolts rents campervans. Could fly up and have it waiting at Sumburgh.

#10 nesty

nesty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

Bolts rents campervans. Could fly up and have it waiting at Sumburgh.

Thanks for the replies. A thought that on the campervan hire.

#11 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

I'm expecting the RET pricing to come into force next month with the start of the new tax year. We shall see. 

#12 JustMe

JustMe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:41 AM

For those who do not know RET stands for Road Equivalent Tariff and a version of that is meant to be in place on the Northlink ferries soon.

Meanwhile I wonder what happens to people who book now at the current advertised rates.  Will they get a refund or just end up having paid more because they booked early?.  A quick look on the Northlink website did not answer this.  I would certainly not put it past Serco to say that bookings made at the old rate pay that rate.

#13 nesty

nesty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:09 AM

I have a friend who has booked from mainland to visit and paid for their trip in late may/ early June. They have raised this with Northlink. It seems no reply is forthcoming.

This is why I am holding off booking, until it's set in stone as such. Once these companies get your cash. There is no getting it back from them. 

#14 ng7627

ng7627

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

There was something on Radio Orkney this morning in which they said that people would be credited with the difference if the new price was cheaper.

#15 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

I always thought Northlink tickets were fully changeable, / cancellable for no penalty?

#16 crofterlady

crofterlady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

In our experience Northlink are super quick to refund any monies due.  In fact they immediately pay it back into your bank account.  Also, the price of fares do not depend on how early they are booked but rather on what season they are booked.

I've often wondered why Northlink don't run a sort of "loyalty scheme" or some such thing for Shetlanders who frequently travel with them. Such a scheme might be of interest to cash strapped students or the like as it would make frequent visits home so much more attractive. Another idea is that they could have last minute deals for empty cabins in less busy seasons.  That could be a real money spinner for them (as the boat goes anyway!!) and very attractive to homesick young people.  What about it Northlink?  Better a full winter ship full of youngsters than an almost empty ship full of crew!