• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Littering (that's a polite term)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brochbuilder

brochbuilder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:06 PM

In spite of the efforts of so many to keep the sides of our roads the way they should be, the dickheads
in our society still seem to take pleasure in dumping stuff out of the car window. I have been counting
the plastic bottles on the way home tonight, dear oh dear!
I think we should attach cameras to hydro poles in bad areas and try to collar these antisocial idiots.
A suitable punishment might be to dress them up in prison attire and make them clean the sides of the
roads every Saturday for a year or two. Start maybe at Lerwick and get a cup of tea in Cunningsburgh if
the road is clean. If not start again.
It would help to have a regimental sergeant major type to hit them with bits of wood from time to time
for motivation purposes, though that may be frowned upon.
Just an idea of course, but hey! we need some action here, and without the bleeding hearts brigade.
  • Acid likes this

#2 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8841 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

The folk on community service should be permanently on roadside rubbish clearance, we have more miles of road to keep the verges and ditches clean than we have folk of CS to physically get around.

It would serve multiple purposes in one, keep the CS squads purposely occupied, and if they moaned to all their mates about spending a damp weekend picking up other folk's used Pampers, Durex, knickers and drawers, it would soon spread through the jungle drums where it most likey matters that leaving so much sharn behind you isn't the coolest thing this season.

• Acid likes this

#3 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3966 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

I completely understand what you are saying brochbuilder.  I spent two weeks walking in the ditches along both sides of our single track road clearing up for the annual Redd Up.

Now when I ride my horse past, I can look down and see the litter coming back - the bloody same stuff (tins, biscuit wrappers, etc) in the same places too.  There seems to be no let up.

It infuriates me.

In my day-dreams, I want to take finger-prints off each piece of litter and then match it, find the culprit and dump it into their house.

There is absolutely no need for any of this litter.  I can't get my head around how anyone would just chuck something out of their car on a road in the middle of scattald.  Who thinks like that?  How can anyone believe this acceptable.  Don't they care?

(my blood pressure is going up).

I totally agree GR community service should be picking up litter on the roadsides all over Shetland.

• Acid likes this

#4 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:34 PM

If Shetland Islands Council used the money that they collect from us as council tax correctly and collected and disposed of the refuse as they tell us that they will, then there would be no need for us to redd up every year. After all, the S. I. C. have already taken payment in full for that job to be done and claimed that they would do it.

Makes no difference though, there's still a lot of *hite all over regardless of what they claim will be done for what we pay for. It proves yet again just what the S. I. C. is really worth.