• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Literacy and illiteracy.

grammar language spelling communication literacy

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:20 AM

Why do so many people not take the time and effort to write correctly nowadays? Why do they incessantly put a virgule between word instead of separating the words used correctly and grammatically, or put a space between the last word of a sentence and a question mark? Why do they so often misspell what are no more than plain and simple words? Why do they not make at least some effort to learn their language and use it correctly?

Surely, correct and grammatical use of the language that a person is communicating in allows them to put forward, clearly and accurately, exactly what they have to say. Not doing that shows ignorance and a poor education, while stopping a persons argument or question being put forward correctly, clearly and accurately.

Edited by George., 13 June 2018 - 10:25 AM.

#2 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:02 PM

Well George,

Not sure if you're the right person to be asking..  :twisted:

Some might ask why you didn't put a space between the last work of your sentences and the Question Marks.... 3 times I think... :roll:

As for spelling. I don't care to much if words are mis-spelled. Just so long as I can read them..

Have a nice day...

#3 Rivlins

Rivlins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

Why do so many people not take the time and effort to write correctly nowadays? Why do they incessantly put a virgule between word instead of separating the words used correctly and grammatically, or put a space between the last word of a sentence and a question mark? Why do they so often misspell what are no more than plain and simple words? Why do they not make at least some effort to learn their language and use it correctly?

Surely, correct and grammatical use of the language that a person is communicating in allows them to put forward, clearly and accurately, exactly what they have to say. Not doing that shows ignorance and a poor education, while stopping a persons argument or question being put forward correctly, clearly and accurately.

Too much like effort, probably!

#4 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:19 PM

...person's

#5 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

My point is made.

Correct usage of “persons” (vs. “people”).

Edited by George., 13 June 2018 - 09:13 PM.

#6 Whistle and Flute

Whistle and Flute

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:46 AM

I love apostrophes!

Wheelsup is quite correct, it is in fact Person's. The apostrophe indicates possession, which in this case is the "argument or question". If the possession was a plural noun of course, then apostrophe would generally come at the end, e.g. Persons', though I notice this usage is becoming more and more defunct.

The word persons is a functional plural of the word person, for example "Person or persons unknown". Though as grammar is something that changes over time, and many writers now use "people" instead of "persons". 

With this said. I do agree, and written structure is being sadly lost in a world of 128 character limits and digital soundbites.

As a disclaimer. This post has not been checked for spelling or grammar  :thmbsup

#7 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:55 AM

Always knew that an "A Level" in English Language would, ultimately, be useless... :roll:

Seriously though, different people have different ways of expressing themselves and using "metrics", such as grammar and punctuation, seems to be a very individual thing.

Personally, I'm always happy if I can read and understand what someone has written and, I don't care to much about HOW it was written.

#8 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:48 AM

Always knew that an "A Level" in English Language would, ultimately, be useless... :roll:

Very true, an A level in just about anything is useless. However, if you were to get a Higher in English it would at least prove that you could understand the language and had benefited from a decent education :-D

#9 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Ahem...... I always thought that the "A Level" was the equivalent of the Scottish "Higher".

#10 Whistle and Flute

Whistle and Flute

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:13 PM

It is Colin. And young people work extremely hard to achieve these qualifications. They should be proud of themselves if they achieve either.  :thmbsup

Ahem...... I always thought that the "A Level" was the equivalent of the Scottish "Higher".

#11 Spinner72

Spinner72

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1958 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Well George,

Some might ask why you didn't put a space between the last work of your sentences and the Question Marks.... 3 times I think... :roll:

Oh the irony :-D

A very good thread however. I have been horrified at the lack of basic grammar in many situations, most notably in letters from lawyers. It is hard to put any faith in their knowledge of law when they can barely write.

#12 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

@ Spinner72

Indeed, the irony.  Did you by any chance mean to type "A very good thread; however, I have been ..."? ;-)

#13 wotsit

wotsit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:35 PM

An A level is actually harder and at a higher level than a Higher.
Each A level is two year course.

People with 3 A levels only need to do 3 years at university as opposed to 4 years if you only have just Highers.

#14 Spinner72

Spinner72

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 1958 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:49 PM

@ Spinner72

Indeed, the irony.  Did you by any chance mean to type "A very good thread; however, I have been ..."? ;-)

I considered it, but decided to err on the side of caution ;-)

• Suffererof1crankymofo likes this

#15 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

@ Spinner72

I considered it, but decided to err on the side of caution ;-)

Only stands to  illustrate my earlier claim that;

regardless of qualifications, everyone develops their own method of writing.

Most, imho, seem to write the way they think.  Some a little muddled, others crystal clear.

Just so long as we can get a clear understanding what they have written.

FWIW;

I just love GR's posts.. <opinion> He may not always be right </opinion> but, they are always clear, a good read and (mostly) to the point..

#16 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

It never has been.

Edited by George., 14 June 2018 - 09:19 PM.

#17 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

It never has been.

OK..   next comes the (pointless) argument over which one is the "better".  :thmbsup

#18 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1986 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:57 PM

Well George,

Oh the irony :-D

A very good thread however. I have been horrified at the lack of basic grammar in many situations, most notably in letters from lawyers. It is hard to put any faith in their knowledge of law when they can barely write.

Indeed and, no excuses. The K and D on the keyboard aren't even close.   :oops: 

#19 wotsit

wotsit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:15 AM

Okay, medical schools and vetinary schools for eg generally look for a minimum 3 or 4 A levels at high grades, or Advanced Highers, amongst other things, not just Highers. You cannot get into Medical School for example on Highers alone for a good reason. They don’t go into enough depth which A level takes 2 yrs and you usually only take 3 or 4 of them because of the amount of work they involve.
So of course an A level course is harder and more work and more in depth of knowledge is required than just a 1 yr Higher course.
Which is why with A levels and Advanced Highers you only need 3 yrs at university as opposed to 4 yrs if you only have Highers.

Edited by wotsit, 15 June 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#20 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:19 AM

Indeed and, no excuses. 

Indeed, and the positioning of the comma also needs to be considered.

Edited by George., 15 June 2018 - 09:23 AM.