• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Drugs and Alcohol tests for Councillors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:41 PM

mod edit - this thread is in response to - http://www.shetnews....says-councillor

I think it’s a good idea to test for drugs/alcohol. After all these people are representing us, at various levels and as such they should be setting a good example on all occasions. A councillor is never off duty.

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot likes this

#2 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1960 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

Er...  The original article that I read did not mention councillors..  Just staff....  Maybe our councillors are "exempt" in some way, or maybe they are to far gone to make any difference.. :ponders:

Anyway, what I read, and the way I read it, seemed very much like the ramblings of someone who is opposed in some way to "affluence".

#3 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:31 PM

Or bitter and twisted. I believe the council policy already covers this.
Wonder how much these additional random tests will cost us.

#4 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8883 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:33 PM

They have to exempt the Councillors, the number of them who'd fail the alcohol test every time would be too embarrassing. 

That said, they're probably scared that the fail rate will be among the managers is going to be difficult enough to endure.

• Acid likes this

#5 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1960 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

Probably about the same as our councillors...  Now, if we can get rid of both..... :???:

#6 oxna

oxna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

What about a 'test" for ill-considered knee-jerk comments amongst those who are unfamiliar with the definition of "drugs" and even less so with the concept of the human rights process. That "test" could be the next local election?!

#7 borderhole24

borderhole24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

Probably about the same as our councillors...  Now, if we can get rid of both..... :???:

You can "get rid of them" every five years.  Are you not happy with your Councillors, if so have you approached them with your issues?  Or just anonymously on Shetlink?

• mikeyboy likes this

#8 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1960 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

Please put your brain in gear and read my original post before making comments...  "anonymously" when my name is at the top ?  also, I am well aware of how to get rid of councillors.  I was just suggesting(?) a quicker method.

• Suffererof1crankymofo likes this