• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Shetland Councillors

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 ThePMx

ThePMx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

Ower a year since da new skreed cam inta being.  Foos dy Cooncillors gettin' oan?

We wir promised a fresh lot we fresh ideas, whit wid do gee dy councillors in dir yearly report card?

#2 Guest_PJS1979_*

Guest_PJS1979_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:25 PM

P45s nothing changed !

#3 ThePMx

ThePMx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:45 PM

P45s nothing changed !

Can you be more specific?

#4 tarsus

tarsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

Hello / Could we have this in English / Thank you.

#5 ThePMx

ThePMx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

Ower a year since da new skreed cam inta being.  Foos dy Cooncillors gettin' oan?

We wir promised a fresh lot we fresh ideas, whit wid do gee dy councillors in dir yearly report card?

Over a year since the new Councillors came into the job.  How are your Councillors getting on?

We were promised a fresh set of Councillors with fresh ideas, what would you give your Councillors in their yearly report card?

#6 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2090 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

It is in english.. or at least a variant of it. :rofl:

#7 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 04:44 AM

We elected nane, twa idda auld aboot-igyen be defaut, an een parachuted in.

SSDD sae far, unsurprisinly.

#8 tarsus

tarsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:34 AM

Wow / It is getting worse.

• Frances144 likes this

#9 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 02:02 PM

@tarsus - what's getting worse?

#10 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

@tarsus - what's getting worse?

I could be wrong, and please don't jump down my throat with the knives out (or go and slag me off to your local hair stylist), but I am thinking it is the written Shetland dialect that Tarsus is having problems with.

But, of course, I could be wrong.  This is very possible, I have been told.

#11 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:24 PM

Maybe if Tarsus used English as it is spoke we could find a common language.

What are all the forward slashes about? They're as confusing to me as Shetlin appears to be to them.

I have no hair left to style, or at least not on my head anyway, so no slagging off will occur. ;)

Edited by Ghostrider, 30 June 2018 - 05:25 PM.

#12 ThePMx

ThePMx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

Ower on Fiscloot folk are sayin' dey canna believe we irna teachin' dialect in wir schools (I dunna think we should be but dat's anidder thing aadagidder), and here, on a Shetland forum, we hae folk complanin' aboot spickin Shetland on it.

You canna please aybody aa da time.

• JDC likes this

#13 cicero

cicero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:36 PM

hi there, at least you can understand the post by tarsus, what someone with English as a second language thinks of it I dread to think, his spelling is good as well. if our kids went to the mainland speaking like this they would never get a job as nobody would understand them.

#14 ThePMx

ThePMx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 08:55 PM

hi there, at least you can understand the post by tarsus, what someone with English as a second language thinks of it I dread to think, his spelling is good as well. if our kids went to the mainland speaking like this they would never get a job as nobody would understand them.

I speak broad Shetland most of the time, but knap for those who cannot understand me.  Most folk have the common wit to do so.  Isn't quite as black and white as you would like to present.

• Auld Mossyface and JDC like this

#15 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

hi there, at least you can understand the post by tarsus, what someone with English as a second language thinks of it I dread to think,

English IS my second language. Shetlin is my first language.

And no, I'm not sure I understand their post. Double spaced forward slashy speak hasn't been in any English I've encountered before.

#16 paulb

paulb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4842 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:48 AM

play nice. stop Ossing to be Myen on Fowk At dont Known Jow Gab Jow Myen Fowk. 

#17 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:17 AM

Anyhow....

The Councillors get to be the whipping boys, but as Ian Scott said, the political power is with the officials, who take their orders from Holyrood more than they take them from the Councillors. As long as that remains the situation, there's going to be no sense done at the Hillhead.

Regardless how any individual Councillor may or may not perform, the whole Council is guilty of historically letting that power shift and removal of democracy happen, and of not addressing and redressing it in the present.

Unfortunately those newbies who are aware of the probem with the status quo, or who could be brought on side, have one hell of a job if they are to fight it and make progress with 'fresh ideas' especially when they're vastly outnumbered by the portion of the old(er) guard who were returned that support things continuing as they are, plus the few newbies who support them, all backed up by the Council management, who in turn have the full weight of Holyrood behind them.

Whats needed is a majority on the Council who call their management out then rein them in to where they belong, and we don't have that yet. Its a cushy number for all but the Shetland public just to leave it well alone as is, Holyrood gives the orders, management relays them to the Councillors and convince them they have to rubber stamp approval for whats in front of them. No hassle, no fuss, and minimal work all round.

It needs put back to the way it was 30 years ago, Holyrood orders to be for guidance only, and not the Holy Grail which cannot be questioned or altered in any size shape or form. That guidance relayed to Councillors wholly impartially at the earliest opportunity for them to debate and fight over to decide how they implemented it, and management taking orders from ONLY Councilors, and providing them with the comprehensive and entirely impartial information they need to debate issues fully and hopefully reach a reasonably sensible outcome.

Past Councils have allowed the continual erosion of decision making and consequently democracy from elected members to hired staff, and its going to be one hell of a lot harder fight to get it back in to the hands of the democratically elected than it was for them to pass it out of their hands. It'll only happen when enough folk catch on to what is going on, things like the kind of house you're allowed or not allowed to build, or what god awful looking monstrosity of an 'erection' appears someplace, isn't decided by anyone in Shetland, its decided by an unelected, unaccountable, unknown 'manager' in an office in Edinburgh, and for the majority Councillors are as unaware what been planned and approved as anyone else. It was signed off by another 'manager' in Planning if it ticked all the boxes the guy in Edinburgh said it should.

Once folk catch on that all Council decisions are made roughly on the same basis as the above, and that the worst carbunkles, monstrosities and downright useless pea brained schemes and decisions foisted upon Shetland in recent years either never saw a Councillor, or at best only hit their desks at a time, with work already done on them, and with a timeline that attempting to stop it was going to create an even bigger disaster than letting it happen. Then they might start making sure that preferably all, but at least the greater majority of folk voted in see the problem and are committed to doing something about it. Progress was made last year, but not enough to get quick or easy results, so we're still where we are, maybe next time will build upon it.

Regardless, the biggest problem is going to be finding folk willing to stand, who realise and appreciate that neither Holyrood nor the Council's managerial team are the Council's friend, but at best are their adversary in all they do, and at worst their arch enemy, and are up for seeing and raising both, possibly numerous times, to wrest the power and control back to where it belongs - at the Council table.

• thebfg likes this

#18 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

In the spirit of balance, having travelled extensively around the country can I suggest that relative to the rest of the UK we enjoy a very high level of service from our council be it roads, leisure facilities, care for our elderly and disabled, schools, nurseries, libraries, museums etc etc thats just of the top of my head, if we got together like that Monty Python sketch and did a "what did the Romans ever do for us" type thing we could probably come up with a dozen more.
  • Colin, Acid and MrBump like this

#19 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2090 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:06 AM

In the spirit of balance, having travelled extensively around the country can I suggest that relative to the rest of the UK we enjoy a very high level of service from our council be it roads, leisure facilities, care for our elderly and disabled, schools, nurseries, libraries, museums etc etc thats just of the top of my head, if we got together like that Monty Python sketch and did a "what did the Romans ever do for us" type thing we could probably come up with a dozen more.

Agreed, but the trouble is that is a very expensive "high maintenance model".  Personally, I believe that it is not sustainable in the long term unless we can get some councillors with the "nadgers" to stand up and fight.

#20 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

Wasn't they all 'Pro Tunnel' folk ?

So, they must have been busy sorting that out then...

I'm reminded meanwhile in the US, last year some Elon guy started a tunnel company, got boring and this year is finishing off a 2 mile tunnel.

So it's not like its impossible to do these kind of things in a reasonable time-frame . . .

Edited by Nigel Bridgman-Elliot, 02 July 2018 - 08:42 PM.