Shetland MRI Scanner

So who else will pay for it?  The public, but VIA the taxes aka NHS Scotland.  It is scandalous that at the time of the NHS 70th anniversary, situations like this are occurring.

Reminds me of Westminster. We all pay them, but of course that's Joe Public at it again.

@ paulb - I wasn't aware that NHS Shetland was a PFI like some of the London hospitals are!  Besides, just because other hospitals are relying upon charity doesn't make it right.  IMO, no one can complain about privatisation of the NHS because private donations made by the public are just that, a form of privatisation.  There comes a time when the public and the medical professionals should say 'enough is enough' and take action to get the powers that be to fund essential items, etc.

until his health goes then it would be a different matter.  nhs shetland are doing what the london hospitals have been doing for years. for example guys gets 3 million a year. 

The probem is NI contributions are compulsory and only go to one place, the public does not have any choice in the matter.

Only those with money to burn, or those who have reached a point of impossible desperation or frustration are going to go private and pay out a second time for what they've already supposedly paid for.

I don't have any real problem with NI contributions being compulsory, what I do very strongly object to is that when you pay them you're forced to pay them ONLY in to the NHS kitty, and are denied the right to choose to pay them to some other health care provider.

If folk had that choice, you'd soon see who was providing the most suitable and value for money service, as that's where most would choose to subscribe to, and unfortunately from personal experience I'm strongly persuaded that the NHS would be bottom of the majority of people's list.

No Government will ever give the public the choice of which heath care provider their NI Contributions go to, for like the Television Licence and the BBC, they know fine well that if folk have that choice so few would subscribe to the NHS or BBC neither could survive.

Its a shame, as there's a lot good in the NHS, generally speaking facilities, equipment, staff and expertise isn't all that bad at all, but that makes no odds, as long as the NHS's strongest point is the morass of mismanagement and maladministration it is. No amount of the best of people, infrastructure and knowledge by those getting their hands dirty every day, can begin to compensate for those making key decision and those overseeing day to day management are people who by all appearances couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery even if they hired in experts in the field to do it for them.

As for what London may or may not be doing, that's totally irrelevant. To quote a line from a song, 'Everyone else is doing it, so why the hell should I?'

Blindly and unquestionly following where others are doing is lemming behaviour..... If a plan has merit and robustness, it will sell itself in its own right and withstand any critical examination wherever and whenever it is proposed. You can con some of the people some of the time.....So its only wise to make sure you're not simply following some of those who've already been conned when you consider joining a bandwagon, rather than just tagging along in the assumption people you don't know or know their reasons for doing what they're doing, are somehow 'wiser than you'.

Edited by Ghostrider

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm no sure dat many oil workers will use it as dir irna many based in Shetland onymare. Nae mare that ony idder industry. Still, it wid be fine if dey did contribute.

According tae da Charitable Trust, naebody has asked yet. Puttin in a formal request wid be a good place tae start https://www.shetlandcharitabletrust.co.uk/mri-scanner-appeal

I'm no sure dat many oil workers will use it as dir irna many based in Shetland onymare. Nae mare that ony idder industry. Still, it wid be fine if dey did contribute.

According tae da Charitable Trust, naebody has asked yet. Puttin in a formal request wid be a good place tae start https://www.shetlandcharitabletrust.co.uk/mri-scanner-appeal

That is shocking. !  What is the point of having the CT if nobody is willing to approach it for funding ?

Have  they "alienated" themselves a little to much I wonder ?

loads are medi vacced.