In The News - Comic Response

Guest Fetlar Writer

^ The alternative being?

Everyone else amending their 'normal' to accomodate the sensibilities of one individual?

If you visit a pub, shop or whatever, and don't like whats in it, do you choose to not return, or do you demand they change to suit you.

Yes, I stop going there, simple as.

Is this your forum? Are you the owner? Are you telling people who you don't personally approve of that they should not contribute on this forum?

What do you do re the shop/ pub/ whatever?... bicker at the owner? Try and get the place shut down? Judging by your previous response, both.

Edited by Space

Try the block user list in your account preferences. It vastly improves the quality of posts you see... with the flip-side being you don't see many posts once the Grumble Gang are hidden.

Thank you, Roachmill. Sounds like good advice, I'll give it a go.

Edited by Space

^ The alternative being?

Everyone else amending their 'normal' to accomodate the sensibilities of one individual?

If you visit a pub, shop or whatever, and don't like whats in it, do you choose to not return, or do you demand they change to suit you.

Yes, I stop going there, simple as.

Is this your forum? Are you the owner? Are you telling people who you don't personally approve of that they should not contribute on this forum?

What do you do re the shop/ pub/ whatever?... bicker at the owner? Try and get the place shut down? Judging by your previous response, both.

Hey, I'm not the person who posted something in front of a random collection of the public on an internet forum, then got bent out of shape and flounced off when one or two gave responses to it that person didn't like. Nor am I one of the lynch mob who scrambled to validate that person's "outrage".

^Don't agree with you on this one GR. We all have a responsibility for what we say either verbally or in print. Sometimes a person can go too far in jest & only realise they've over stepped a line when offence is taken. If you stop caring about the affect (effect? Don't have a dictionary handy!) your words/actions have on others then it breeds bad feeling which is no achievement, there's already plenty of that in this world.

One (wo)man's 'bullying' is another's light hearted banter. Its all relative and subjective.

No-one can give offence, offence can only be taken, and that's an issue for the taker alone. No-one is responsible for anyone's 'feelings' unless their own.

This is the argument I often see put forward by proponents of extreme free speech, trolls, and other high output low IQ libertarians to excuse their predilection for making vile and hurtful remarks. Now right on cue here's the trollumnist in chief leaping to the defense of his mealy mouthed moll of a missus and coward Colin. The old adage of sticks and stone might break my bones but names shall never hurt me might well be true in the playground or the sewer that Grotesquerider and Mrs Moll inhabit but of course in the adult world, words, either written or spoken, can and do inflict incredible harm.

I'm sure if the moderator of this forum should see fit to remove this post for any reason, the two of them will be at the forefront of outrage demanding that it be reinstated and vociferously defending my right to say or write whatever the hell I want to about them.

Jeez, I mixed up the threads.  I was referring to the actual website of the OP which has for the same tab on one view "Defense" and when viewed from another link for the same tab, "Defence".  And that warrants such a vicious attack on me and others?  Oh the irony, gobbing off about hateful words, trolls and so forth yet the personal attacks aren't coming from myself, Ghostrider, George or Colin.  I haven't called anyone names.  I deffo haven't stooped to that level and in case certain folk hadn't noticed, I don't.

I haven't called anyone names.  I deffo haven't stooped to that level and in case certain folk hadn't noticed, I don't.

Why don't you 'stoop to that level' and call people names or make personal attacks?

Is it because you disagree with this statement

One (wo)man's 'bullying' is another's light hearted banter. Its all relative and subjective.

No-one can give offence, offence can only be taken, and that's an issue for the taker alone. No-one is responsible for anyone's 'feelings' unless their own.

and you feel that name calling and making hurtful remarks may for some people be offensive and harmful or cause some people to have unwelcome feelings?

Or do you agree with the argument that 'No-one can give offence, offence can only be taken' and if so why wouldn't you call people names and make hurtful remarks about them if it helped make your point?

By this logic any offense or negative emotion experienced by the recipient would be nothing to do with you, it would solely be down to the offended party being 'too sensitive for that medium' and unnecessarily taking offense when they could equally as well choose not to.

Hey All, not only am I a "hypocrite", I'm now a "coward" as well..  Childish name calling is what you get for posting the "truth" I suppose..

Ah Colin good of you pop your head up from behind the parapet. I though you had taken to lurking in the background and posting the occasional 'like' on posts that made you feel a bit safer.

I recommend that if you don't want to have labels attached to you then don't behave in a way that attracts them. If you choose to be part of a group that bullies someone until they quit the forum and then disappear when your behaviour is called out by other posters, only to pop up to post the odd like on posts which make you feel safe, don't be surprised when that's called out for what it is. Cowardice.

You are a hypocrite, it's not about name calling, it's a statement of observable fact.

As for spelling. I don't care to much if words are mis-spelled. Just so long as I can read them..

Have a nice day...

Damn..  our secret is out... :twisted:

and you missed "sooth".  I would have thought "soothe" was the correct spelling, but I might be wrong. :ponders:

I haven't called anyone names.  I deffo haven't stooped to that level and in case certain folk hadn't noticed, I don't.

Why don't you 'stoop to that level' and call people names or make personal attacks?

Is it because you disagree with this statement

and you feel that name calling and making hurtful remarks may for some people be offensive and harmful or cause some people to have unwelcome feelings?

Or do you agree with the argument that 'No-one can give offence, offence can only be taken' and if so why wouldn't you call people names and make hurtful remarks about them if it helped make your point?

By this logic any offense or negative emotion experienced by the recipient would be nothing to do with you, it would solely be down to the offended party being 'too sensitive for that medium' and unnecessarily taking offense when they could equally as well choose not to.

That's your logic, not mine.  You don't appear to have thought that there could possibly be other reasons, just one example:-

'When you resort to name-calling, you've already lost the debate'.  

^Don't agree with you on this one GR. We all have a responsibility for what we say either verbally or in print. Sometimes a person can go too far in jest & only realise they've over stepped a line when offence is taken. If you stop caring about the affect (effect? Don't have a dictionary handy!) your words/actions have on others then it breeds bad feeling which is no achievement, there's already plenty of that in this world.

I'm not going to disagree that folk have a responsibility for what they say and write, but there's more to it than that. Firstly, being 'offended' is a very personal thing, pretty much unique to each individual, a line they draw in the sand where they and only they choose to draw it. Making it a very inexact if not an impossible science for anyone else to tell with any reasonable degree of certainty that everything they say or write won't 'offend' somone. All anyone can do is best guess on the issue, and all anyone else observing can do is consider whether anyone claiming to be 'offended' is doing so with good reason and justifiably, or whether their expectations were unrealistic all things considered, and/or they were being overly sensitive to reasonable comments. Both of the above are also going to be heavily influenced by those individual's own line in the sand of what they feel to be offensive as well.

In the case in hand here, while I have no issue with the OP's right to be 'offended' if that's what they want to be, I believe the 'offence' they have taken is born out of having unrealistic expectations of what it is reasonable to expect in the circumstances they created, and unrealistic expectations as what constitutes reasonable comment. So any 'offence' they may have taken, is down to them to deal with, not the responsibility of the folk who made what I believe were reasonable and fair comment.

The OP put material out there to an unknown number of random anonymous members of the public worldwide, the reaction to it by those who chose to look at it almost certainly covered the whole spectrum from loving it, through indifference to loathing it. Some chose to express their opinion/critique of it, which shouldn't have been unexpected given this is a forum.

Yes, the content and quality of the material was criticised in some comments, which is reasonable and fair when you throw anything in front of the public. Nobody criticised or was derogatory to the OP on a personal level as far as I can see, which wouldn't have been reasonable or fair. Or thats where I draw my line in the sand anyway. Hence my conclusion, that while the OP has every right to feel 'offended' if they chose to, that 'offence' is the responsibility of their own unreasonable expected reaction(s, and their's to deal with, rather than anything anyone posted to this thread.