• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Shetland Space Centre

universe shetland unst satellite space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

The Shetland Space Centre is probably going to be built in Unst relatively soon and will hopefully operate for centuries, finding out a lot about the universe that we, and our planet, are in. There will possibly be a fair number of people employed there and if so, some other businesses will benefit from the new Space Centre.

What does everybody think about this? Will it be good, bad or indifferent? Will it allow us to learn a whole lot more about both planet earth, the other planets around us and the other suns that exist?

Edited by George., 30 August 2018 - 07:51 PM.

#2 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

There's always the capacity to learn something, but is there the will to do something with the knowledge gained that really benefits human kind as a whole? Everyone knows by now I'm sure, how to take care of this planet but we still don't. We let short term benefits & conveniences for individuals get in the way of what is best for our planet & therefore what is best for humanity. If there is jobs & money in it for the short term at least, then it will no doubt go ahead whatever the long term benefits. I'm not especially for or against it, just sceptical about humanity. Maybe you've caught me in a bad mood.
  • George. likes this

#3 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:04 AM

There's always the capacity to learn something, but is there the will to do something with the knowledge gained that really benefits human kind as a whole?

That makes me think that although mankind has discovered a lot of things, and also invented a lot of things, at the time these new things weren't really appreciated in a way that they could and should have been. It wasn't used to help or benefit Joe Public for a good length of time until some people worked out how to make money from it. That might just happen again. Man may well discover a lot of new stuff, or discover a lot of new ways to do a job, that has taken decades, centuries, to do before. It may have been very expensive before and it may have taken an awful long to to do the job.

These changes might be discovered out there in space. It all may well be a huge benefit to mankind. It may not work like that, it might be a great waste of time, but we won't know until we find out and if we don't find out then we'll never really know, and if we don't find out we'll remain ignorant and uninformed.

That's my viewpoint but there may be a huge number of peeps that think differently. They may be right or they may be wrong. Hopefully we'll find it all out pretty soon.

• The Cleaner likes this

#4 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 06:36 PM

A bit of a Pandora's box George!
  • George. likes this

#5 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 12:52 PM

I’m not so sure that this space centre is about space exploration but more about providing us in the UK with our own communications and GPS satellites so we no longer have to rely and possibly pay to use those of other countries.

We need more accurate and secure communications of our own probably as a safe guard should this country ever have a disagreement with those already providing our comms.

Should this station go ahead it will provide employment, but one has to remember what those satellites are all about, to provide better GPS so as driverless cars ,robots, drones ect ,ect can be further developed probably putting many out of work .

We cannot hold back technology, so what will come will come but to many of us of a certain age we can look back and see the many good well paid jobs that have disappeared from Shetland as technology has developed 

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot and The Cleaner like this

#6 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:12 PM

I reckon it would be good if we could fire up our own satellites without paying other countries to do it for us.

After all, we did pretty well when we had Bluestreak..

Perhaps a time for our own silicon valley..

http://www.spaceuk.o...eak/bstreak.htm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: universe, shetland, unst, satellite, space