• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Culture Strategy for Scotland consultation

culture scottish government

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:52 AM

The Scottish Government are currently consulting on a "draft Culture Strategy for Scotland"

The draft strategy and details of how you can contribute your views are available at https://consult.gov....lture-strategy/

It's quite a lengthy read but is interesting and has wide-ranging implications. Here are a few quotes to give you a flavour.

The strategy seeks to stimulate a step change that will bring about a shift in how society and government view and value culture. It aims to build collaborative alliances that will help to realise the full potential of culture for everyone and every community.

The draft strategy seeks to embed and elevate culture’s position across society, and is therefore of interest and relevance to many different audiences, including:

• the culture, heritage and creative sectors, all those who work or participate in them and their supporting organisations
  • individuals and communities across Scotland
  • the voluntary/third sector
  • Scottish Government, local government and their stakeholders and partners
  • people delivering public services, especially those tasked to tackle the fundamental challenges in Scotland today. This covers a wider range of public service roles in health and wellbeing, social care, education, community development and regeneration
  • private business, enterprises and industry (for example tourism, energy and those who work internationally)

VISION STATEMENTS

• Culture in Scotland is innovative, inclusive and open to the wider world.
  • Cultural excellence – past, present and emerging – is celebrated and is fundamental to future prosperity and wellbeing.
  • Culture’s empowering and transformative power is experienced by everyone.

It would be interesting to hear folk's opinions on this

#2 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

^My brain hurts!
  • Urabug likes this

#3 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:31 PM

Might be better if the Scottish Government scrutinized themselves first and sorted out some off their own adverse political "cultures",like defying democracy and aiming to split the UK .

I might  then see this waste of time and public money differently.  

#4 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:43 PM

Can you tell me when the Scottish Government defied democracy and aimed to split the UK?

#5 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8966 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

I gave up trying half way through the quoted material.......Can somebody translate that in to something readable, please.

Cuture is fine and well I suppose, for folk that enjoy it and value it, and depending what its defined as...... Glasgow got designated as 'city of culture', and Boy George led Culture Club. Neither endeared me much to 'culture' though.

Personally I think Holyrood should be giving far more pressing issues priority than bagpipes, bottles of buckie and tins of shortbread, but to each their own.

Edited by Ghostrider, 08 September 2018 - 02:58 PM.

• The Cleaner likes this

#6 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 03:29 PM

Can you tell me when the Scottish Government defied democracy and aimed to split the UK?

To most of us that is very obvious, to myself and many others it is very,very clear.

If you cannot see it for yourself no point in me trying to explain it,but i will give you one hint "national vote ballet box".

#7 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 04:10 PM

So you can't then.

What you could have said is that the Scottish parliament authorised the Scottish government to request a transfer of powers to hold a second referendum in 2017 but you didn't.

Who do you speak for when you say most of us?

Edited by mikeyboy, 08 September 2018 - 04:32 PM.

#8 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 05:36 PM

<moderator hat on> mikeyboy and Urabug, we're in danger of going off topic... <moderator hat off>

^My brain hurts!

You have my sympathy!

I gave up trying half way through the quoted material.......Can somebody translate that in to something readable, please.

Cuture is fine and well I suppose, for folk that enjoy it and value it, and depending what its defined as...... Glasgow got designated as 'city of culture', and Boy George led Culture Club. Neither endeared me much to 'culture' though.

Personally I think Holyrood should be giving far more pressing issues priority than bagpipes, bottles of buckie and tins of shortbread, but to each their own.

It's not like you to give up so easily Ghostrider. I thought you were a stubborn auld dug? ;-)

Re: "Culture.... depending what its defined as"

The consultation offers the following definitions (so I'm sure something amongst it will chime with you)

• Arts – any creative or interpretive expression (whether traditional or contemporary) in whatever form. This may include, for example, visual arts, theatre, literature, music, dance, opera, film, circus and architecture and includes any medium when used for those purposes.
  • Creative industries, including film and television production, animation, broadcasting, electronic games, architecture, design and fashion, publishing, media and advertising.
  • Cultural heritage including galleries, libraries, archives and museums, built and natural heritage, Scots and Gaelic languages and folk traditions (Intangible Cultural Heritage).

• The Cleaner likes this

#9 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:40 PM

Can you tell me if the British government can spell "Democracy", never mind define it, cough cough? The Brit bit tends to give me the flu, unlike their royalty.which does no more than encourage vomit.

Edited by George., 08 September 2018 - 06:58 PM.

#10 Frances144

Frances144

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4088 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:42 PM

Someone should put them forward for The Golden Bull in the Plain English Campaign imho.  To me, it is just "speak" that means very little but ticks all the boxes.

• George. and The Cleaner like this

#11 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8966 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:59 PM

@ peeriebryan: What is 'culture'? Yes, its all of those things, and none of those things at the same time. Its a constantly evolving subjective fluid object. Its everything we are and that there is, and nothing at all, both at the same time, depending upon an individual's personal opinion.

It became whatever it is in the present entirely by accident, not by plan or regulation, and while it deserves to be recognised as a valid phenomena and to be to each individual whatever it is to them, it also needs to evolve naturally. So I'm yet to be convinced that Government intervention with any kind of 'plan' or 'strategy', given their love affair with labelling, ticking boxes, pigeon holing and 'one size fits all' thinking, is a good thing for culture. Their somewhat cacque handed, and arguably highly inappropriate ideas concerning Gaelic language stands as a case in point.

Can't knock them for trying I suppose, but I get a definite sense of 'fixing what ain't broke' while other arguably more important issues that are broken are left that way, going on with this.

As long as people act on their own desire to express themselves through their medium of choice, culture will continue and evolve, and if there's a role for a government to play, perhaps it should be reactive to accomodating culture in whatever direction it evolves naturally to, rather than proactively manipulating and leading it, as this strategy seems to be intended to be.

Is culture not over-regulated and stifled in some areas already? Take grafitti for example, there's enough of it been around long enough now to prove its a part of their culture for some, yet governments do a great deal to remove it, hide it, discourage it, and promote the belief that it is negative, undesirable and not a legitimate 'art' form. As long as any government strategy recognises all forms of cultural expression equally, that's fine, but given their track record so far I fear their plan will end up more a case of promoting and respecting those parts of 'culture' they deem to be legitimate parts of 'culture' and browbeating down the rest. Time will tell.....

• peeriebryan, Suffererof1crankymofo and The Cleaner like this

#12 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:36 PM

@ Ghostrider - I've decided it's culture when I practise doing ballet in the kitchen.  I'd like a barre but no doubt the SIC would object to one being installed in Your gaff.  I'm sure the neighbours have some amusement seeing me practise having both feet and arms in 5th position demi-pointe, sometimes followed by what can only be described as me impersonating a weeble.  Does this mean the Scottish Gov. will give me dosh towards my ballet lessons then, given that You're not a balletomane? ;-)

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo, 08 September 2018 - 08:37 PM.

#13 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

One of the 3 aims of the Scottish government's culture plan is...
Quote...

"To make sure each community is recognised as having its own culture and sense of identity."

Blows the predictable tinfoil hat brigade theories mentioned above out of the water.

Edited by Capeesh, 08 September 2018 - 08:42 PM.

#14 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:41 PM

@ Capeesh - and exactly how would they achieve this?  Recognised by whom?

#15 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:50 PM

^ I wish I had your way with words Ghostie because I couldn't agree more! Somewhat off the subject I am also pleased to see the use of the phrase "cacque handed". A phrase I was brought up with but whenever I've used it in more recent years no one seems to understand it.
Back to the subject. If we, local council, Scottish &/or Westminster government, whoever, cares so much about culture then why is it we had to cut back on school lessons that nurtured our local culture. I'm talking about knitting & musical instrument lessons, maybe there are other examples.It seems to me a false economy to take with one hand to (be seen) to give with the other.
  • Ghostrider and Suffererof1crankymofo like this

#16 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:04 PM

@suffererof1crankymofo
The document in the link provided by peeriebryan says it hopes to achieve this by...
• Making sure people have a say in the type of culture that’s available in their communities.
• Promoting different types of culture.
• Creating partnerships between culture organisations, businesses and people.

"Recognised by whom?"

I'm assuming they mean that it's important for the people developing the culture plan to recognise that a one size fits all culture is not what their aim is, hence making it one of their 3 aims

Edited by Capeesh, 08 September 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#17 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:12 PM

@ Capeesh

I don't think it's any of my neighbour's (and ergo, my local community's) business if myself and a few mates participate in ballet or any other cultural activity that's available in our locality.  If a few folk want to get together and have an accordion club, provided no noise nuisance/laws are being broken, what the hell has it got to do with the government or anyone else?  I also don't think it's the government's business to be promoting them.  I don't think it's down to them either to create partnerships between culture organisations, businesses and people.

In other words, I wish they would keep their dictatorial beaks out!

• The Cleaner likes this

#18 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8966 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:46 PM

One of the 3 aims of the Scottish government's culture plan is...
Quote...

"To make sure each community is recognised as having its own culture and sense of identity."

Blows the predictable tinfoil hat brigade theories mentioned above out of the water.

No it doesn't.

Firstly, governments, and the Holyrood one no less so than others, are great at saying things, but when it come sto actually delivering on them, half-heartedly, reluctantly and eventually are the order of the day. Cheaper ferry fares and still trying, and failing to sort out a 3+ year old mess of their own making to pay agricultural subsidies being two prime examples.

Secondly, culture is led by individuals first more often than not, and only communities by default secondly. Fiddle playing and fiddle tunes are held in some regard in Shetland culture, some communities in the past were 'lucky' in having several talented and willing fiddle players, others were lucky if they had one, who as often as not had to be persuaded (bribed) to travel some considerable distance and then constantly persuaded (bribed)  throughout the night to continue playing. Were it not for those few individuals, there would be no Shetland-wide fiddle culture of today, it would be a culture of a few select localised geographical areas, just like UHA was until relatively recently a "culture" almost exclusive to the toon.

To concentrate on the "community" aspect of culture only is to stifle the very thing that creates culture, and makes it evolve and grow. The contribution of the one individual in some way that in time spreads through a community either causing a previous 'culture' to evolve in to something different, or creating something entirely new. Certainly something needs to be reasonably widespread throughout a community to be accept as a 'culture', but to only address the 'cultures' that currently exist within a community is going to do more to slow down and stagnate the natural progressions and evolutions 'cultures' by default continously go through that keeps that popular, current and vibrant, than do anything else.

Just look at where the mainstream music industry has ended up as a result of being controlled by the bottom line driven strategies and policies of a few industry behemoths. Any government strategy, however well intentioned will inevitably have a similar effect on 'culture' for the simple reason it is people from outside of 'culture', who have very limited ir any understanding and appreciation for the subject they are making decisions on. If 'culture' would benefit from any kind of national 'strategy', the initiative and details of it need to be from those involved in 'culture' on a continous basis, who understand it and appreciate it. From the bottom up so to speak, not largely dictated from the top down as is suggested here.

This is a Holyrood initiative, and from the contents of their document it seems they have already made a number of decisions and reached a number of conclusions, and are only now soliciting comment. Comment, which they may or may not heed at their own whim. That's wholly ass about udder for creating relevant and beneficial 'strategy', the initiative and realities need to come from within 'culture', and then if government involvement is desired, the government approached for comment.

Its a 'we know whats good for your culture, better than you know your culture yourself' exercise in the making as it stands.

Nothing necessariy wrong with the concept of a 'culture' strategy in and of itself, its just being punted by the wrong people in entirely the wrong way.

• The Cleaner likes this

#19 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8966 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:55 PM

@ Ghostrider - I've decided it's culture when I practice doing ballet in the kitchen.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Ghostrider, 08 September 2018 - 09:55 PM.

• The Cleaner likes this

#20 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8966 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:15 PM

Somewhat off the subject I am also pleased to see the use of the phrase "cacque handed". A phrase I was brought up with but whenever I've used it in more recent years no one seems to understand it.

Maybe an age thing. :???:  Certainly one I've used, and heard used often going back a good way.

I was sure it used to be spelled 'cacque' and all, so its good to see someone else using that. As when I figured I'd best check I was remembering the spelling right, google was giving nothing for 'cacque', and all the hits were coming back for 'cack' - Which to me is the slang version, used by folk who can't spell properly in the first place.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: culture, scottish government