• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Culture Strategy for Scotland consultation

culture scottish government

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:47 PM

I have to confess I wasn't sure of the spelling so went with the way you spelt it! The meaning I know is to be heavy handed (literally or theoretically,is that the word I'm looking for?!), clumsy or awkward. I think it is a 50+ sort of expression right enough.

#22 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:59 PM

The majority of people appear to spell it, "Cack handed" or so it appears. https://en.oxforddic...ion/cack-handed

Right, time for a cuppa B)

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot and The Cleaner like this

#23 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:44 AM

Somewhat off the subject I am also pleased to see the use of the phrase "cacque handed". A phrase I was brought up with but whenever I've used it in more recent years no one seems to understand it.

Maybe an age thing. :???:  Certainly one I've used, and heard used often going back a good way.

I was sure it used to be spelled 'cacque' and all, so its good to see someone else using that. As when I figured I'd best check I was remembering the spelling right, google was giving nothing for 'cacque', and all the hits were coming back for 'cack' - Which to me is the slang version, used by folk who can't spell properly in the first place.

No as far as I am aware always cack handed. Being one of those words that came to Britain through the army in the Middle East where people wipe their bums with their Left hand and thus are cack handed.

But of course off topic so apologies.

• Frances144, George. and The Cleaner like this

#24 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 05:47 AM

@ suffererof1crankymofo

Whatever floats your boat.

I personally see it as a positive thing, I hope that (on our behalf) the many superb groups, organisations and even interested individuals in Shetland participate.
  • peeriebryan likes this

#25 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 01:06 PM

I'm personally not against opportunities in any sort of creativity or sports/fitness being on offer, (they already are) & being advertised fully. My reservations are about how accessible they really will be to all. If you are on a very limited budget (& that's not necessarily unemployed) then even the extra bus fares to get to a venue (if it's not in walking distance) can be beyond your means. Yes even in Shetland there are some living this lean. Also ofcourse bus timetables don't always fit in with lessons or events, some areas are affected in this way worse than others. You may think a person can always get a lift but as a non driver I can tell you this simply isn't a reliable option, for work or play.
I have to say I don't have a great deal of faith in some involved in this partnership to deliver anything better than what's on offer at present. My scepticism stems from the things that have already taken place in relatively recent times such as the cutting/limiting of school knitting & musical instrument lessons that I mentioned in a previous post & other issues like "messing" with the timetable for the bowlers at the Clickamin. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other examples that I'm not aware of. Everything has a budget ofcourse but trimming from the roots is not the way to go about it & does not make me feel that opinions on what is wanted will be listened to seriously.
  • Suffererof1crankymofo likes this

#26 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:22 PM

@ Capeesh

It is one thing for a government to provide funding to the likes of Scottish Ballet, etc.  It's another thing entirely when they start to dictate upon what's available in areas and neighbourhoods having a say; that's what we already have planning laws for and a whole plethora of other organisations.  This whole thing reminds me of cultural activities such as those in Japan and China, whereby people must participate in certain activities, and not necessarily on a voluntary basis.  Having a greater say in what's available locally doesn't necessarily mean everyone will be in favour of certain cultural activities.

The document also refers to Scots language and gaelic; no mention of Shetland dialect; some might argue that it isn't Scottish.  So will all our roadsigns be in Gaelic then in the future?

• The Cleaner likes this

#27 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1059 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:30 PM

It is one thing for a government to provide funding to the likes of Scottish Ballet, etc.  It's another thing entirely when they start to dictate upon what's available in areas and neighbourhoods having a say; that's what we already have planning laws for and a whole plethora of other organisations. 

Very Westminster.

#28 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:40 AM

Immigration is influencing the British culture probably more than anything else,although TV ,Radio,mobile phones computers ect also have changed the way we live.   

Just walk down certain streets in say Birmingham for instance and you immediately think that you have been transported to  another country,the music,smell language ect.

Unfortunately "we" are now being pressured by political correctness to comply with certain aspects of this foreign culture by being restricted in what we can say and do.

Certain words and phrases ,jokes we used to tell will be seen as being racist or sexist ect 

No longer is a hymn sung at morning assembly at school,this was stopped years ago so as not to offend those of other religions .

I feel that we are all being "shaped" by our politicians to comply with this cultural change in Britain and those of us who object are labeled racist,sexist,homophobic ect ect.

Shetland culture has changed massively since my young days,some of it for the better,and some of it for the worse.

Freedom of speech and respect for our democracy will play an important role in how we maintain our culture.both in my opinion being seriously abused at this time. 

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot likes this

#29 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

As far as the hymn singing at school morning assembly goes my own experience of this is such: I have attended three primary schools, the first (a regular non denominational) in London in a very multi cultural area where we had once a week assemblys with prayer & hymn singing. The other two schools here in Shetland, in the first the only nod to religion was the prayer said before eating our dinner, "for the food we are about to receive.....". The next school was similar to the London school but with the prayer at the dinner table too. Most of the time I was at this school my teacher was someone who said themselves that Christianity (particularly of the variety he followed) was his favourite subject & he shoe horned as much of it as possible into our school day starting with a morning prayer in class & bringing his religion into every subject if at all possible. This teacher was also the head of the school & he stopped us having the Up Helly Aa holiday because of it being a Pagan festival! As for the secondary school I attended here, it was the same as my first Shetland primary, just the usual prayer at the dinner table. In fact for at least the last year (of four) at this school a large plaque with this prayer scribed on it was displayed in our canteen & no praying was actually done verbally anymore. My schooling was from 1969 to 1980 to give you a timeline. Certainly my experience has been the amount of Christianity brought into the school day was tempered by practicality, smaller schools then didn't necessarily have room to hold an assembly. Going by what I've seen in Shetland, congregation numbers have fallen in many churches & some churches have been sold or are in use less frequently. Funnily enough I believe the Catholic churches congregation has increased some, in part because of eastern European immigrants. It seems to me that this part of our culture (Christianity) has changed because many have wanted it to or have lost interest in it for whatever reason/s. The people I know that are religious are more influenced by their family background than their schooling. Some may feel that religion & education shouldn't be mixed, but that's for another debate & thread.

#30 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 01:55 PM

Yes The Cleaner--I'm not into religion but hymn singing was a cultural thing that was done in many schools until society changed it.

It was simply the principle of it, and  the old proverb "When in Rome do as the Romans do" comes to mind so why should we have to keep changing our ways to suit a small minority.

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot likes this

#31 The Cleaner

The Cleaner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:41 PM

Well hymn singing can ofcourse be enjoyed by anybody for any reason though I don't recall even one incidence of anyone I went to school with being even a little keen on taking part. We were all into either country & western music (very popular in Shetland then with all ages but not born of our culture) or the pop music of the day. I'm not denying it was part of our culture but that was for a reason, that being that Christianity was more actively practiced in the past. People have chosen not to or at least changed the ways they practice religion in the UK as a whole now. All parts of our (& others) culture stemmed from some reasoning & it adapts over time with people's needs & wants. Being nostalgic for the old tradition of singing hymns at school is fine, nice if you have happy memories of that. If you do I can understand you wanting the younger generations to "benefit" too. The trouble is generations don't always share the same view on what is beneficial. As far as I know, most if not all schools have some sort of singing lessons & I'm guessing the kids enjoy that more than hymns at assembly. I know my offspring did, though now out of school ten years. The three schools (2 primarys & a secondary) I attended in Shetland have all been rebuilt since my days & now have halls so they are able to have assemblys. I've not heard that hymn singing has been dropped from the curriculum, can anyone with school age kids or relatives enlighten us? I don't see any evidence that incoming influences have had a relevant effect on this part of our culture.

#32 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:25 AM

Did anybody turn up last night to make their views known?

#33 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:10 PM

> Making sure people have a say in the type of culture that’s available in their communities.

Couldn't that be at odds with:

> Promoting different types of culture.

What if people want to say that they don't want a particular culture in their community ?

Which sort of brings me to:

> Creative industries

Would that include car companies..?

Or would that create a culture of car racing circuits that might not be welcomed on our quiet country roads.. :-)

• Urabug, Suffererof1crankymofo and The Cleaner like this

#34 peeriebryan

peeriebryan

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:23 PM

Did anybody turn up last night to make their views known?

I went along and dir wis about 30 folk there from a range of backgrounds. One of the themes that emerged was trying to avoid a 'one size fits all' approach and valuing local priorities. In that respect, there weren't any thoughts about trying to have a Shetland wide submission and aabody was encouraged to submit their own, or their organisations', responses.

A challenge in drafting a national Cultural Strategy is finding the balance between it being focused enough to have clarity but flexible enough to be applied at a local level.

Another strong theme in the conversations I was part of was valuing and recognising the work of volunteers, whilst balancing that with developing the economic side of culture and the Creative Industries.

There's been some really interesting comments and themes raised in this thread, and it would be great if you guys could take the time to fill out the online consultation document. The more diverse voices the better - https://consult.gov....ulture-strategy- and you can't say they didn't ask  ;-)

#35 KOYAANISQATSI

KOYAANISQATSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2326 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 11:13 PM

Stick it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: culture, scottish government