• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Behind the scenes videos of Refuse Collection, Gritting etc

bin men wheelie bins refuse collection rubbish boys are back

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 ThePMx

ThePMx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

This.

This whole thread.

This is why people don't use this anymore.

• Frances144, mikeyboy and Acid like this

#22 PJS1979

PJS1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

Do a lot less people post here because there are so many other options for social media ?

#23 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:47 PM

This.

This whole thread.

Really?

#24 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8966 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:05 PM

Against my better judgement I am going to ask this, is there another reason for sharing this other than that you can?

You could ask that question of every post ever made. 

I suspect that the OP made the post "because he could" and, if he wants to share a part of his life with a wider audience, he has a "right" to do so.

Freedom of speech, expression etc.

Fair points. But I think its also fair to query whether this post and previous similar posts from the same source, form a type of 'continuation' of the barrage of propoganda spewed out by SIC management for over a year now ever since the great 'Recycling' God was unleashed upon us by them. Or, simply 'coincidence'. :ponders:

• The Cleaner likes this

#25 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2022 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:10 AM

I'm going with 'coincidence'.  At least, until I find my "tinfoil hat". :thmbsup

#26 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:04 AM

I think the clue may be at the end of the video.

One of the men had recently retired so perhaps the video was made as a wee reminder for the guy.

• JGHR likes this

#27 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:06 AM

This.

This whole thread.

Really?

Yes George, somebody on here recently mentioned that they were scared to post due to negative comments. You immediately trolled their comment!

• shetlander, JGHR and Acid like this

#28 shetlander

shetlander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:16 AM

Yes George, really.

In the last week, three members have started new threads that back in the day might have stimulated a bit of intelligent debate or discussion. Instead, they've all descended into the now-familiar cynical/negative/anti council/government/Lerwick/authority rabble - in the case of this one with personal insults thrown in.

I was about to respond to DavieP's post last week agreeing that the Shetland Partnership Plan was an interesting read (god forbid eh?) before deciding that I really couldn't be ersed having to read - let alone reply to - the predictable response to follow.

• mikeyboy, JGHR and Acid like this

#29 admin

admin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:23 AM

Some friendly advice to 'Zero Waste', the user who started the thread. We try to keep posts dealing with the similar points in a single thread. Here's the guidance from the "Forum use - guidelines and netiquette" - https://www.shetlink...and-netiquette/

Avoid starting a new discussion thread if there's already a relevant one - the forums become confused and discussions difficult to follow when there are multiple threads dealing with similar or identical subject matter, so we encourage users to post in existing threads whenever possible. This gives new posts a chronological order, provides background information to new posts, keeps popular topics active and acts as a running archive of subjects. New topics which are deemed as dealing with the same subject matter as existing threads may be locked and/or merged with the existing thread

I'll do a little moderating just now to combine your threads into one :-)

We haven't given it the most inspiring title, so please feel free to suggest something else!

#30 admin

admin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

We also refer to a post we made a month ago in another thread......

We refer users to our Guidelines and Netiquette section and urge you to consider how your conduct on the forums help or hinder these objectives.

<snip>

Needless Negativity - We want to the forums to be a friendly, supportive and positive 'living room' where people can discuss issues and share their thoughts. As such we welcome and encourage constructive criticism and discussion, but discourage needless negativity, antagonism and hostility. 

Repetitious overly negative, antagonistic and hostile posts discourage other people from joining in discussions - this is the number one complaint the Shetlink moderators receive and is the main reason folk stop, or don't start, contributing the forums. All too often threads are snuffed out due to voracious and repetitive groaning, griping and belly-aching.

The odd rant, moan and whine are inevitable but there's a line to be drawn. If a Shetlink member is deemed by the moderators as being unnecessarily negative, antagonistic and hostile, and are damaging productive conversation, then they will be warned and ultimately banned.

The Shetlink team

The reality is that a guest in our "living room" has felt compelled to leave because of how they have been made to feel by other guests.

Many others guests have chosen to stop contributing to the forums citing the sustained actions of a small group of people.

So be aware of how your posts impact other people's feelings, the quality of discussion, and the inclusivity of the forums.

There's no problem when fair points are made but trolling will not be tolerated. To the users who were given a warning via PM.... our fingers are currently hovering over the 'ban' button....

• BGDDisco, as, Acid and 1 other like this

#31 JGHR

JGHR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

Do a lot less people post here because there are so many other options for social media ?

Yes, I suspect that's a fair part of the reason why.
  • PJS1979 likes this

#32 JGHR

JGHR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:31 PM

Personally I quite enjoy watching videos of the essy kert in operation. But that's maybe just the Asperger's in me. Keep them coming anyway. I also quite like looking at photos of folk drinking in the pub as well.
  • Nigel Bridgman-Elliot, Davie P and PJS1979 like this

#33 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

> might have stimulated a bit of intelligent debate or discussion. Instead, they've all descended

> into the now-familiar cynical/negative/anti council/government/Lerwick/authority rabble

I think its pretty common for just about every conversation online to descent into 'now-familar' land, I suggest the trick is just ignore any comments you don't like, and continue the intelligent debate / discussion among the noise, is what I do !

If we had threaded chat here, it would be easier to do that. :-)