• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

The Local NHS.....Paths......and a *Shelter*.....

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Capeesh

Capeesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:04 AM

I like the yoal design, better value for money and more identifiable with Shetland, the other ones could be anywhere in the world and I would be none the wiser to what it was meant to represent without reading a description.
I agree with those who believe the NHS should allocate part of it's budget to encourage and promote healthy living.
I'm sure I read somewhere about how our leisure facilities have saved the NHS money.
My guess is it's a bit like owning a car, keep it well maintained and you'll spend less on garage bills.
  • mikeyboy and Davie P like this

#42 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:55 AM

I like the yoal design, better value for money and more identifiable with Shetland, the other ones could be anywhere in the world and I would be none the wiser to what it was meant to represent without reading a description.

Good point re: value for money (dry stane dykes aren't cheap!) and it would put old boats that might not be seaworthy any more to good use. It would be good if they included some information on da history of the boats too. I like the idea of taking a break fae the wind and knowing my shetler used to go to the creels aff Nesbister!

• mikeyboy likes this

#43 Roachmill

Roachmill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

^ Some folk call it as they see it and don't believe in wrapping everything up in layers of cotton wool and sprinking pretty flowers over it when it stinks..

:rofl:

And you have to respect that.

Oh my holy...

eye-roll-meme-5-roll-memes.jpg

• mikeyboy likes this

#44 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2023 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:55 PM

Back to normal I see.  :cry:

#45 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8967 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:31 PM

@ Roachmill:

You seem to be advocating a concept that only those who have positive opinion(s) towards any given idea, and who express them in the most extremely benign and sanitised manner possible have vaild opinions, and any opinion that could somehow be perceived by someone as having negativity, and/or comes from someone who shoots from the hip has no validity and neither do they.

How does this promote an exchange of ideas and a generate robust debate, and how does it promote mutual respect and inclusion? On the face of it, such a policy is most likely to only encourage a troop of timid, mealy mouthed, sycophantic automatons.

Life is all about compromise, and that means compromise by both extremes, not just one. Life on Shetlink has already been made a compromise for anyone who isn't scared to stand up and call b/s in a forthright, abrupt and to the point manner, when, in their opinion, that is what they are seeing. The T&C's are there to ensure that, and that is where the aribtary line in the sand is drawn.

What compromise are the snowflakes of this world and their enablers making? Absolutely none apparently. Instead of being made to understand that however 'offensive' to them personally someone's opinion is, or however 'offensively', to them, someone chooses to express an opinion they hold, as long as no statutes or medium specific T&C's are violated, that person has exactly the same right to hold that opinion, and/or express in the manner of their choosing, as a snowflake has to be 'offended' by that secific opinion, and/or how an individual expresses an opinion. Apparently everybody else is supposed to modify their opinions, and/or how they choose to express them, to accomodate all possible snowflakes' sensibilities.

How do snowflakes' and their enablers expect to have the right to decree anything they like to be 'offensive' and have it abolished, yet when other folk find snowflakes' penchant for taking 'offence' so easily at random issues 'offensive', those folk are told their 'offence' is invalid, and to just suck it up.

The arbitary line on what is 'offensive' and what isn't, again is drawn in the sand between what is directed at specific individual(s) on a personal level, and what is directed in general terms, and I don't think most reasonable minded folk would argue with that. Snowflakes and their enablers are engaged in a concentrated and sustained campaign to redraw where that line in the sand is, by attempting to dictate to the rest what defines 'offensive'.

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot, Urabug and Suffererof1crankymofo like this

#46 Roachmill

Roachmill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1050 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:45 PM

Well, that's me told I'm sure as I'm guessing the above is more than 20 words. Amiright?

*skips away to do something productive*

#47 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

I do like how up here you can find bus shelters with comfy chairs in.

I'm really not a fan of seating designed so its uncomfortable to sit on !

I like the idea of using old boats for shelters, but they need to have the shelter designed so the wind doesn't catch it, like the old fashioned ones where the boat is on the roof, on a pile of stones, that strikes me as a far more wind resistant design.

So far the designs I've seen have been very artistic, and not very practical.