Weisdale Salmon

redrobbie

They took the time and trouble to make it illegal to catch salmon in inland waters two years ago. A pity that they didn't include sea trout, there's an awful lot less of them now. They'll both go the same way that the sturgeon went if we don't look after them.

Laxo or Laxvoe  used to be Shetlands premier Salmon and grisle fishery with the Laxo pool being legendary in angling circles   no Salmon have been seen there for at least 10 years . The fact is the wild Shetland Salmon is on the very cusp of extinction .

Edited by redrobbie

The fact is the wild Shetland Salmon is on the very cusp of extinction .

Agreed, and it's the fault of only one thing. Mankinds greed, and I dread to think whether we will ever get enough back.

It's quite interesting to see how many other forms of wildlife have ceased to exist over the last three or four decades. Man is guilty.

Some years ago in Southern Ireland they looked for evidence that salmon farming was responsible for

decline of wild fish.

In one particular bay the sea trout numbers had plummeted so they decided to remove cages as an

experiment. After just a few years the sea trout numbers recovered.

They put the cages back and the numbers crashed again.....

That surely suggests exactly what many people are concerned about.

Some years ago in Southern Ireland they looked for evidence that salmon farming was responsible for

decline of wild fish.

It's caused by sea lice. If they either found a way to keep the lice at bay or stopped farming salmon, the problem would go away. Wild salmon both tastes and looks a lot better anyway. So do the sea trout but the salmon farms cause the problem, from Mizen Head and all the way north to Unst.

Davie-L.....I notice the Norwegian scientist here has produced this report in Bergen. Perhaps he

and his colleagues should be declaring an interest.

I cannot believe that the mackerel have multipled to the extent he suggests considering the number

of huge pelagic boats on the go nowadays.

I can recall mackerel fizzing right in to the end of Ronas voe, you could have drawn enough to sink

a flatbottom in a short space of time. Of course you had to stop drawing.

I have caught them on a fly in the shallows down below the pub at Voe, too easy with the spinner.

These events are a lot rarer now, no matter what this scientist says. I doubt his words.

Brochbuilder, I have to agree that there is less mackerel inshore compared to 20+ years ago but could this be due to climate change and the fish migrating further north and further out to sea?

When it comes to the decline in wild salmon numbers what could the reason for the decline in the rivers in the East coast of Scotland, there are no farms there so can they still be blamed.

I will declare an interest as I’ve been involved in the salmon industry for 20+ years but hear the same claims time and again with little or no data to support either the Salmon farming industry or Anti Salmon farming industry.