• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Smoking is carcinogenic and it kills

tobacco addiction cancer cost asthema

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 06:55 PM

Health effects of tobacco

Edited by George., 18 October 2018 - 06:56 PM.

#32 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2232 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:36 PM

https://www.bbc.co.u...-leeds-45902674

Pathetic.   An organisation that is continually short of cash (?) can still manage to spend quite a bit on sticking their noses into other people's business.

#33 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:33 AM

https://www.bbc.co.u...-leeds-45902674

Pathetic.   An organisation that is continually short of cash (?) can still manage to spend quite a bit on sticking their noses into other people's business.

Quite right. It should be compulsory for smokers to stand there in public, enjoying their highly addictive and highly carcinogenic tobacco, while inflicting it upon everybody within breathing distance. Bet they feel really good when they wonder how much cancer they've inflicted on non-smokers as they pass by.

Especially where you mention, at a hospital door. Jut the place to have a quick smoke before they have to take you away and cut one or two of your lungout.

Edited by George., 19 October 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#34 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2232 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 08:02 PM

George, you missed the point !

I was posting a comment on how a cash strapped organisation seems able to find enough money to interfere in our everyday lives, in a way that is not really going to benefit anybody, when their "core functions" are under so much pressure.

As someone who is continually crusading against something or other and continually calling the government 'wastemonster' etc. I would have thought that you might have appreciated them attempting to keep the cash back in order to pay for the removal of lungs, legs, anything else that needs chopping off.  Paying for signs, recorded messages, and buttons to press is, as I said, pathetic.

Also;

"wonder how much cancer they've inflicted on non-smokers as they pass by."

None at all I would imagine.  Believe the "hype" if you want to but, imho, such limited open air exposure that might be encountered in "just passing by" would have almost "0" effect when measured against the "passers by" daily intake of vehicle exhaust emissions, chemicals in ther diets and a whole host of other things.  Not only that, you would probably encounter more tobacco smoke during a stroll along just about any shopping street than you wouild in a hospital doorway.

Of course, if you are that scared of a little "puff of smoke", you could always stop breathing when passing smokers.    :roll: 

Oh, and it was the article  that mentioned the "hospital door", not me.

#35 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:20 AM

My apologies, Colin, it seems that I did make a mistake there.

Having said that, tobacco and tobacco smoke icarcinogenic. It habeen proven to be for a good while now. I stand nowhere near a  burning fag and haven't since I gave up. It must be admitted that nicotine ia highly addictive drug, and that in itself inot too good. It also makesmoker cough and choke, which doesn't help. It nowadays costs a fortune for a packet of twenty, I wonder why?

How smoking causes cancer

Edited by George., 20 October 2018 - 06:40 AM.

#36 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2232 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 06:41 AM

Well George,

Congratulations on being able to kick the habit.  Explains why you come across as a bit of a "crusader".  Once a smoker, always a smoker, whether you indulge or not.

Tried, and failed, many times myself.

#37 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:20 AM

Thank you, Colin.

I certainly understand jut how difficult it can be to give up smoking. I waon 60 a day up to 1992 when I decided to stop. I managed to stay off them for three years but then fell by the wayside. Gave up again about twelve year ago and have been fine ever since.

I've benefitted massively from giving up. I suffer from asthma and smoking made it ten time worse. When I stopped, thing improved greatly. Sadly, a good number of people in the family, some friends, and friendof friends have not been so lucky. That'probably what made me investigate jut what tobacco doeto you.

Tobacco causes cancer in a huge number of places, including the lung, larynx, mouth, esophagus, throat, bladder, kidney, liver - need I go on?

Okay, if a person chooses to smoke then it's up to them. If they decide to give it up but fail, then at least they've made the effort. Unfortunately, a large amount of smokers have the habit of smoking wherever they choose. That itorture - and it can be murder. I don't want them to inflict their tobacco on me - ever.

Tobacco risks

Edited by George., 20 October 2018 - 10:21 AM.

#38 Mr Robot

Mr Robot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:33 PM

Bertrand Russel

Edited by Mr Robot, 22 October 2018 - 09:45 PM.

#39 mikeyboy

mikeyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 10:54 PM

Smoking and lung cancer statistics:

http://wclc2017.iasl...ancer-Final.pdf

• George. likes this

#40 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:22 AM

Smoking and lung cancer statistics:

http://wclc2017.iasl...ancer-Final.pdf

Good one, shows just what smoking tobacco does to you - and those around you :roll:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tobacco, addiction, cancer, cost, asthema