• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with LinkedIn Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Hay’s Dock Cafe Restaurant closes

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 07:51 PM

I see da cafe in da museum is closing

https://www.shetnews...staurant-closes

#2 CrashBox

CrashBox

• Social Media Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:19 PM

:cry:Damn! Where am I going to eat out on my days out in Ler'ick? I always went there over any other place.  

Edited by CrashBox, 03 November 2018 - 09:22 PM.

#3 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2090 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:44 PM

To many eateries chasing to few eaters ?  Classic over-provision perhaps ?

• sludgegulper, Urabug and Lerwick antiques like this

#4 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:41 PM

I'm not surprised by this at all. The restaurant was heavily subsidised by the Amenity Trust, Salaries when it opened were in line with a big city restaurant. They had a set number of covers each night and they wouldn't take walk ins even when table were empty.

The news says 5 redundancies. I wonder how may of the waiting staff were on zero hours contract.

You can find a recent set of accounts, including a profit and loss account here.

https://document-api...242cb02862b516a

#5 Shetland_boys

Shetland_boys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:46 PM

Such a shame. I can see a few more closing in a year or two, there are too many restaurants in Lerwick.

• sludgegulper and Urabug like this

#6 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:59 AM

MuckleJoannie, dy link dusna seem to be wirkin

#7 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2090 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:10 AM

I'm not surprised by this at all. The restaurant was heavily subsidised by the Amenity Trust, Salaries when it opened were in line with a big city restaurant. They had a set number of covers each night and they wouldn't take walk ins even when table were empty.

Great way to run a business (NOT)

Reads like a classic case of "the tail wagging the dog".

Great shame for those that are, suddenly, out of a job. 

I was told that the staff knew nothing of the closure until 5pm Friday.  Is this correct ?  If so, what an appalling way to treat them.  Mushrooms... Kept in the dark and fed on bullsh*t !

• Nigel Bridgman-Elliot likes this

#8 shetlander

shetlander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:31 AM

We were in for a meal over the summer and the service was a shambles so I’m not surprised about this.

I’ve thought for a while that the number of places to eat in Lerwick just can’t be sustainable. I also think that this place didn’t really know what it was - a cafe or a fine dining restaurant - and offered too much for a cafe but didn’t hit the same standard that the likes of the Scalloway Hotel does for restaurant food.

#9 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:30 AM

Too many places ?

Could someone point me to the cheap places !

Or are there no cheap places ?

> Salaries when it opened were in line with a big city restaurant.

I had imagined minimumn wage levels !

Perhaps with profit share to boost wages and encourage profitable behaviours..

> They had a set number of covers each night and they wouldn't take walk ins even when table were empty.

An example of not-profit behaviour..

Sadly evolution and natural selection in practice, which could have been avoided by reading some good how to run a business books, and/or just asking Joe Public what they want :-)

As a member of Joe Public, I want cheap affordable food, like fish N chips for £5, a burger and chips for £3, or just a really good cheese burger for £2, can I get any of those here, or are they double the price for some reason ? (What is that reason!)

#10 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1159 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:41 AM

As a member of Joe Public, I want cheap affordable food, like fish N chips for £5, a burger and chips for £3, or just a really good cheese burger for £2, can I get any of those here, or are they double the price for some reason ? (What is that reason!)

There's only one or two places that will charge you a fiver for fish and chips. Tesco or the Co-op :cool:

#11 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

Cannot beat home cooking but the occasional meal out is good,unfortunately the prices are extortionate in many of the "eateries" here in Shetland.

When down south I find the prices more acceptable my choice usually a Weatherspoon but a Toby's is also hard to beat..

Tend to agree with most that we have to many cafes and restaurants,the old proverb comes to mind "To many cooks spoil the broth" 

#12 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2090 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

I have a close relative that used to work there and, boy can the "relative" tell some horror stories.  Managers interfering, Menus decided at "meetings", even the colour of chalk used on menu boards and more stuff like that. 

Not so much a business as a "camel".  A horse designed by a committee of amateurs.

HERESAY ON

The "relative" has also suggested that it is "political" and that Hay's Dock has been "sacrificed" in order to boost the cafe at Mareel.  Ho Hum !

HERESAY OFF

#13 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9030 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:06 PM

^ It was said when Mareel was being built that two eateries virtually side by side wouldn't be sustainable......

Especially not when there's another up to three within shouting distance on Commercial Road, and more within easy walking distance.

I guess not enough SIC Execs made it their lunchtime watering hole of choice, for they're about the only ones within cry raek of pulling in enough to afford the prices.....

Ivan will be delighted though, I'm sure.

#14 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3240 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:39 PM

Try this one then click Full accounts made up to 31 March 2016,

https://beta.compani.../filing-history

• Muckle Oxters likes this

#15 Lerwick antiques

Lerwick antiques

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:05 AM

I started counting all the cafes and eateries in Lerwick. The results are as follows

17x cafes/eateries

3x chip shops

8x Indian/Chinese restaurants

4x hotels which has dining facilities for the public

2x cafe vans/trailers

It's an awful lot of places for one small town.

#16 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2090 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

Try this one then click Full accounts made up to 31 March 2016,

https://beta.compani.../filing-history

Not to much detail but, enough.

Looks to me like a decent manager with a little business savvy could have made the place a success.

Salaries 50,000.  OK chef's are a little expensive and having two of them is going to sting a little.

Why not operate as a cafe during the daytime and restaurant during the evenings ?  That would only require 1 chef.  Immediate saving of 25,000

Not only that but, it's a museum for crying out loud.  Why would it need a restaurant when a simple cafe would do ?

Get back to basics and work from there.  That would save even more.

Wages 200,000. for 17 employees looks like an area that might have required a little attention as well.  Unfortunately, there is not enough information in the report to make any "solid" judgement but, I would assume that some were full time and the rest were part time, "zero hours", averaging around 220 per week/per head across the board.  Not a huge amount but, how many other "eateries" of similar size have comparable staff/wages ?  I would guess that most will be operating with less than that.

Bank Charges seem a litttle high.  I would question the funding model against what is, mainly, a "cash" business.  Did anyone bother speaking to the bank or looking at the "cash flow" ?

I suppose it highlights the difference between a full blown, properly run "commercial" operation and an "add on" run by someone with no real business acumen.

Great shame for the staff who are now out of work through no fault of their own.

NB;

NO I do not want the job !  :mrgreen:

#17 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:44 PM

Apparently there is now going to be an alternative “refreshment” facility,will this be vending machines !!  :oops: 

#18 Shetland_boys

Shetland_boys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:24 PM

There's only one or two places that will charge you a fiver for fish and chips. Tesco or the Co-op :cool:

The college does a mean fish,chips and peas for the students 4.50 :)  and for non students 5.40 . not bad

#19 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:29 PM

> The college does a mean fish,chips

Where is that ?

And it it called "The College" ?

Google wasn't a lot of help there !

#20 John Allan