Hay’s Dock Cafe Restaurant closes

Muckle Oxters

MuckleJoannie, dy link dusna seem to be wirkin

Try this one then click Full accounts made up to 31 March 2016,

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC324266/filing-history

Not to much detail but, enough.

Looks to me like a decent manager with a little business savvy could have made the place a success.

Salaries 50,000.  OK chef's are a little expensive and having two of them is going to sting a little.

Why not operate as a cafe during the daytime and restaurant during the evenings ?  That would only require 1 chef.  Immediate saving of 25,000

Not only that but, it's a museum for crying out loud.  Why would it need a restaurant when a simple cafe would do ?

Get back to basics and work from there.  That would save even more.

Wages 200,000. for 17 employees looks like an area that might have required a little attention as well.  Unfortunately, there is not enough information in the report to make any "solid" judgement but, I would assume that some were full time and the rest were part time, "zero hours", averaging around 220 per week/per head across the board.  Not a huge amount but, how many other "eateries" of similar size have comparable staff/wages ?  I would guess that most will be operating with less than that.

Bank Charges seem a litttle high.  I would question the funding model against what is, mainly, a "cash" business.  Did anyone bother speaking to the bank or looking at the "cash flow" ?

I suppose it highlights the difference between a full blown, properly run "commercial" operation and an "add on" run by someone with no real business acumen.

Great shame for the staff who are now out of work through no fault of their own.

NB;

NO I do not want the job !  :mrgreen:

As a member of Joe Public, I want cheap affordable food, like fish N chips for £5, a burger and chips for £3, or just a really good cheese burger for £2, can I get any of those here, or are they double the price for some reason ? (What is that reason!)

There's only one or two places that will charge you a fiver for fish and chips. Tesco or the Co-op :cool:

The college does a mean fish,chips and peas for the students 4.50 :)  and for non students 5.40 . not bad

MuckleJoannie, dy link dusna seem to be wirkin

Try this one then click Full accounts made up to 31 March 2016,

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/SC324266/filing-history

It's a shame, but the restaurant has been consistently losing money and has only survived by being subsidised by the Amenity Trust. The Trust are now skint, so closure was inevitable.

It's a pity that the 2017 and 2018 Profit/Loss statements were withheld.  Makes you think that they are trying to hide something.

The 2016 P/L wasn't "wonderful" but, I think that a good business manager could have turned the place around.

Also the stated intention of looking into outsourcing as an option suggests to me that they know they haven't got a clue.

• 1 month later...