• Create Account

Njord | Market - Classifieds

Thank you for your continued patience. Shetlink is happy to announce the launch of Njord | Market as an upgraded and focused software development for the Shetland community.

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Brexit (merged threads)

brexit

• Please log in to reply
246 replies to this topic

#241 admin

admin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:47 PM

This is a discussion forum, so when stating an opinion, please help others forum users by providing factual information and/or links explaining how you arrived at your opinion.

Otherwise, we will be condemned to going around in circles.

#242 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

What I know about EU legislation is it is legislation that we in Britain do not require from a dictatorial institution

We have our own democratically elected "buffoons" in Westminster and Holyrood  who are supposed to rule this country .

I have lived with the changes for the past 40 odd years ,and in the work place had to conform to them so I know .

It is a bit like driving a car I do not know how to build it but I do know how to drive it,and can judge whether it is good or bad.

#243 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:17 PM

What I know about EU legislation is it is legislation that we in Britain do not require from a dictatorial institution

With respect, it doesn't seem that you do know about EU legislation. You can't provide any examples. You just repeatedly say you don't like the EU without any justification.

I have lived with the changes for the past 40 odd years ,and in the work place had to conform to them so I know .

Let's have examples of the changes in your workplace due to EU regulations that you don't like then.

Edited by Davie P, 12 January 2019 - 05:28 PM.

#244 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

For me, da decision in how I voted came down tae balancing the pros and cons of the European Regional Development Fund and da Common Fisheries Policy.

I think Shetland has done very weel fae da ERDF with funding for piers, roads and da lik, and there doesna seem to be ony plans fae Westminster or Hollyrood to replace dat post-Brexit.

I dunna think Shetland has done as well as it could have fae da CFP, but dat said there's no guarantee we'll do any better if we leave da EU. Fishing is a fraction of UK economy and rights could easily be traded away under whatever agreements follow Brexit.

#245 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

So, a 432 to 202 defeat for May's proposal. That's a hefty defeat, probably one of the worst for any government in decades!

#246 Skunnered

Skunnered

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Worst ever, I believe.

#247 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:28 PM

It was interesting to see both Hard Brexit and Remain supporters celebrating the defeat together yesterday, with both thinking their preferred option is now more likely.

Hopefully, now that the government has survived today's vote of no-confidence, May will use her diplomacy skills and charisma (!) to pull both sides of parliament together - although I can't see it....