• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Brexit (merged threads)

brexit

• Please log in to reply
857 replies to this topic

#856 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:27 PM

The "deal" seems to be "how to come out of Europe without leaving",

#857 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9305 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:41 PM

Do folk tink dat Westminster will negotiate a better 'post-brexit' deal fur Shetland dan we hae under da CFP?

I think I'll wait until I see some signs of us actually having Brexit before I worry about that one much.

So far the only noises from the politicians have been the real world equivalent of somebody throwing a right old paddy on a social media site about how upset and offended they are, flinging all their toys out of the pram and announcing they're leaving the site/group/whatever......... Then not deleting their account.

#858 shetlander

shetlander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:03 AM

The 'added value' sector however virtually ceases to exist, 40 year ago there were in to double figures of processing factories, all appearing to be doing pretty okay, now unless for one or two niche outfits there's nothing. Relying entirely on a 'fresh' only market for whitefish, which in turn relies a boat run by politicians making a trip every night, or boats tripping it themselves, is putting eggs all in one basket, which is never wise.

HIE commissioned a report on this very subject a few years ago. From memory, as little as 2% of the whitefish landed here is processed here. I’ll see if I can hock it oot but what it said was that the speed mainland processors can now get whole or gutted fresh fish from here, the costs of importing packaging and a lack of local labour are all things that might limit more value-added processing being done.

While I get the benefits that *might* come about on the catching side, I can’t see Brexit changing any of that given that wir competition is from within the UK rather from the EU but I’d be happy to be proven wrong. If anything I can only see the labour situation worsening given the number of EU nationals who have willingly worked in fish factories here in recent years while many of the rest of us have turned our noses up at that kind of work.
  • Windwalker likes this