• Create Account

Njord | Market - Classifieds

Thank you for your continued patience. Shetlink is happy to announce the launch of Njord | Market as an upgraded and focused software development for the Shetland community.

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Pensioners fuming over government ‘theft’

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Pension age (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Should men and women have the same pension age?

1. Yes (8 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Windwalker

Windwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:12 PM

No, you have paid the pensions of other people for the past 50 years.

semantics, we all pay into the system to get a pension when we retire, I paid for the previous generations pension and the next pays for mine. So as wheelsup says your pension isn’t a gift.

Edited by Windwalker, 19 January 2019 - 12:12 PM.

#32 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

Ower the past few posts, aabody is right in dir own wye!

I tink it's important for folk to understand dat how much pension dey get, and when dey'll start getting it, is based on da governments ability to pay rather than a direct link to how much folk hiv paid into da pot.

I ken some folk dat think their pension is kinda lik a personal savings account and dunna really understand dat it's more lik a massive joint account!

Workin folk pay into da joint account, and older folk tak oot o it. As da UKs population average is gettin older, dir's simplly less workin folk to pay for dem.

• BigMouth likes this

#33 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:03 PM

Dat said, da government should be clearer and mare realistic we folk about how much dey'll get and when dey'll get it. It's a cashflow prediction, really.

Da best thing folk can do is save something extra fur retirement demselves, but da UK population isna very good a saving money compared to some idder countries. 

And it's aa very weel saying dat, but a lot o folk dunna hae much spare cash tae save in da first place........

Edited by Muckle Oxters, 19 January 2019 - 01:04 PM.

#34 BigMouth

BigMouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

The problem is that the government can change the rules at any time, so the populace can't really plan into the long term. As far as I am concerned we had a contract that allowed me to retire at 65. The government has reneged on that so now I have to work longer. There are less young people paying into the pot. The reason that there are less young people is because a great number of my generation put off having a family to get on the first rung of the property ladder. If they had children, they had them later.

A house buying public is great for a government. Tax revenues increase through the purchase of the house, improvements, furnishing etc. It also keeps the population in debt, and therefore productive, creating more revenues through taxation of income and expenditure. When those with houses find themselves with spare cash they invest in more houses, usually to rent out at high rents. Those renting them are in an odd position of being able to afford to pay someone else’s mortgage, but can't get one of their own. They probably work in low paid or minimum wage jobs, finding themselves with little disposable income, and due to their low wage, little going into a pension. Their long term outlook is bleak. They may never retire. Those of us close to retirement either need to count ourselves lucky, or stop the government peeing so much money up the wall on vanity projects such as HS2, garden bridges, nuclear deterrence, etc., and also outrageous costs such as Westminster. We need MPs to sort out the tax laws to stop the wealthy undermining the country by off-shoring their wealth, especially when the homeless die on the streets of Westminster under the noses of our politicians, who drink subsidised alcohol in their bars at work, with their highly subsidised meals.

Edited by BigMouth, 19 January 2019 - 01:59 PM.

• thebfg, Windwalker and Muckle Oxters like this