• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Does Facebook bring out da worst in folk?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:10 PM

Dis is interesting - https://www.shetnews...hing-treatment/

I wisna at da Althing, and I dunna use Facebook much, but whit do you folk think? Is Facebook a good or bad thing?!

Edited by Muckle Oxters, 16 March 2019 - 11:11 PM.

#2 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9172 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 01:26 AM

Laek Shetlink, an everythin idder, baith online an aff, it brings oot da best in some, da warst in idders, an da rest it makks nae differ ta avaa. Juist aboot onybody upoa it micht faw athin ony idda tree it ony time, dependin upoa da subject.

Sweepin generalisations ir rarely helpful, is fur every example dat proves it wan wye, dir ey anidder een ta disprove it.

It haes its uses, and it faults.

Edited by Ghostrider, 17 March 2019 - 01:28 AM.

#3 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:52 AM

Like everything else, it depends who uses it. Its very useful for keeping in touch.  And to a point it seems to allow free speech.

However if you are  unhinged you easily find things that support your mindset. Especially people who are into conspiracy theories and Trump. I once "liked" poppy day and got bombarded with anti-immigration and racist feeds. 

Edited by Wheelsup, 17 March 2019 - 06:54 AM.

#4 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2210 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 07:56 AM

Never used it so can't comment first hand but my wife uses it and, from what I have seen, it does seem to be driven (?) by some kind of 'herd instinct'.  Not sure if it's "sheep" or "lemmings" though.. :evil:

#5 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2210 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 08:06 AM

Like everything else, it depends who uses it. Its very useful for keeping in touch.  And to a point it seems to allow free speech.

However if you are  unhinged you easily find things that support your mindset. Especially people who are into conspiracy theories and Trump. I once "liked" poppy day and got bombarded with anti-immigration and racist feeds. 

"Free Speech" (?) only seems to be allowed when you agree with, and support, the views of the "opinion meisters".  Anything other seems to generate some kind of "feeding frenzy" by the "offended" parties.

Stand your ground...