• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

GREENHOUSES.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hakama

hakama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

Hello, I would be most grateful for any information about greenhouses, What is the best way to get one here. Does anybody build them etc. Thank you.

#2 Middlin

Middlin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

Hello, I would be most grateful for any information about greenhouses, What is the best way to get one here. Does anybody build them etc. Thank you.

I’m sure that the planticrub at Tingwall had a wooden one for sale a few years back. They might be worth speaking to.

#3 tirvaluk

tirvaluk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:10 PM

A polycrub is more suited to the Shetland weather.

www.polycrub.co.uk

#4 hakama

hakama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

I know about the poly tunnels. I wanted to know about greenhouses.

#5 MuckleJoannie

MuckleJoannie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3266 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:04 PM

I've been googling greenhouses in Shetland and polycrubs are all that come up. They are designed in Shetland for the Shetland climate.

I did find a Shetlink thread from 9 years ago where this company was recommended.

https://www.greenhou...CFSMslAodlz_ACg

#6 Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

I have seen the odd geodesic one around here and there, which I imagine would stand up to the winds well.

(Though to be honest, the ones I've seen, look too lightweight to me..)

Related link:

http://www.solardome...ge/glasshouses/

I notice their prices are a lot more than the other folk mentioned. (Who I think are around the £4k mark, but they never seem to talk about their prices..)

I'd quite like to do a concrete framed geodesic one, as then I think the weight of the concrete will help keep it anchored down and stop it being sucked up by the wind crossing over the top of it, I'm reminded of this one:
(I heard they was more common during WWII)

depositphotos_202841154-stock-photo-old-