• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Investing & Saving

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

Has any of you folks used an online investment platform? AJ Bell, Hargreaves Lansdown, Vanguard or similar?

The interest rates paid by bank accounts is generally less than inflation so you're in effect losing money. So, I was going to invest a little cash regularly into a Stocks and Shares ISA but I'm a little bewildered as to where to start!

Here's an intro if you don't know what I'm talking about - https://www.moneysav...guide-to-funds/

#2 Urabug

Urabug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

Probably better to play save and try NSANDI  your money might not grow as much but less chance of losing it  :ponders:

#3 JGHR

JGHR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:52 AM

Has any of you folks used an online investment platform? AJ Bell, Hargreaves Lansdown, Vanguard or similar?

The interest rates paid by bank accounts is generally less than inflation so you're in effect losing money. So, I was going to invest a little cash regularly into a Stocks and Shares ISA but I'm a little bewildered as to where to start!

Here's an intro if you don't know what I'm talking about - https://www.moneysav...guide-to-funds/

I don't know about  AJ Bell, Hargreaves or Lansdown but I have a couple of Vanguard exchange traded funds. I'm not sure if you are familiar with ETF's, but you buy and sell them via an online stockbroker just like any other companies stock. I like the Vanguard ETF because the management fee is very low. Typically less than 0.5%. There is an abundance of underlying indexes which you can choose to track. I selected a fund which tracks the S&P 500 (US stock market) and it has returned me almost 30% over the past 3-4 years. Plus I also get a quarterly distribution payment on top of that. I'm very happy with them. Its pretty much set and forget and, according to Warren Buffet, it is the most effective way for the man in the street to invest over the long term. Of course you have to remember that when the market goes down so will your fund, but if you have some spare cash that you can manage without over say a 5 year period, I would certainly recommend an ETF from Vanguard.  

#4 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

I ken a few folk dat swear by Vanguard funds and say dey've done quite weel ower da long term. I wish I'd hiv taken dir advice when dey got intae it years ago!