• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

One way van rental? Cheapest way to get stuff up!

van hire ferry budget moving

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arfski

Arfski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:43 PM

I need to move a lot of stuff up from down south, trying to work out the best box van hire method, hire one locally (Star?) and drive it down and back, or hire a van down south and then off hire in Aberdeen somehow? Just trying to keep the (mostly ferry) cost down so grateful for any advice.

#2 Davie P

Davie P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

I was looking to do the same thing a few years ago and ended up putting it onto pallets and shipping it via United Pallet Network (UPN) / Northwards http://northwardsltd...pallet-network/

It worked out to be a lot cheaper. Some UPN agents will pick it up for you and others will require you to take it to a depot

• Arfski likes this

#3 Arfski

Arfski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:38 PM

Got a Triumph Dolomite engine and gearbox from Sterling sent that way for just £60 about 5 years ago using the pallet network, so good call, I hadn't considered that. A lot of the stuff would not fit on a pallet though, so probably still looking at a box van.

#4 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9308 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

If your budget and knowledge of vehicles and the vehicle market can cover it, buy a van south, drive it up with your load, and sell it on up here.

As a general rule, if you buy the right van at the right price, it'll sell for more up here than you paid for it south.

• Arfski likes this

#5 Arfski

Arfski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

That's the winner of an idea, I had not thought about that angle at all! Even if sold at cost it will only owe me a months insurance and the fuel.

Now I need to find some dry storage, time to ask around.

#6 Muckle Oxters

Muckle Oxters

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

If your budget and knowledge of vehicles and the vehicle market can cover it, buy a van south, drive it up with your load, and sell it on up here.

As a general rule, if you buy the right van at the right price, it'll sell for more up here than you paid for it south.

:thmbsup good tinkin!

#7 Claadehol

Claadehol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:04 PM

Would it be possible to buy a used 20' container down south, load it ship it up, then unload and sell the container on. You will always find a buyer here for a container or you could turn it into a shed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: van, hire, ferry, budget, moving