• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

White, Male and Middle Aged

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:17 AM

Reading an article on Shetnews, it reminds me that the blame for all ills, seems to be placed , with White Middle-Aged Males. As one myself, I feel ill done by.

Does this not smack of Racism and Sexism and Ageism?  Perhaps it time commentators, were more careful of how they word things. It certainly dies nothing to help their cause(s).

How do you feel about it?

#2 Watter

Watter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

They should go live in the middle east or Africa for a few weeks and see what a real male patriarchy is all about .

#3 Evil Inky

Evil Inky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1093 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

Reading an article on Shetnews, it reminds me that the blame for all ills, seems to be placed , with White Middle-Aged Males. As one myself, I feel ill done by.

Does this not smack of Racism and Sexism and Ageism?  Perhaps it time commentators, were more careful of how they word things. It certainly dies nothing to help their cause(s).

Well, it's not very PC to say this, but can it be coincidence that Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Michael Gove, and Vladimir Putin all fall into this category? :)

#4 Watter

Watter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

Well, it's not very PC to say this, but can it be coincidence that Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Michael Gove, and Vladimir Putin all fall into this category? :)

Did not know Trump was white i thought he was orange .

• Acid likes this

#5 Sukibind

Sukibind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:14 PM

It does rather seem as if all the woes of the world are laid at you door step. Thankfully British men have shoulders broad enough to bear all that is thrown at them, without bearing grudge and with good humour - what more could you ask of a man.

#6 Sukibind

Sukibind

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:15 PM

*your..

#7 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9314 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:28 AM

How dare you assume their gender and ethnical identities. :twisted:

They maybe all identify as genderless green toasters from a rare otherwise undiscovered race who reside on the dark side of Uranus......or maybe not. ;-)

Edited by Ghostrider, 26 November 2019 - 12:28 AM.

• Watter likes this

#8 RileyBKing

RileyBKing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:39 PM

Don't forget we are also the "beneficiaries of slavery" .

This would have been news to my great grandfather as he and his family (including my grandfather) were turfed out of the family croft to make way for the laird's sheep.

• George. and Watter like this

#9 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1431 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

Beneficiaries of slavery?

Westminster to a tee.

#10 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:12 PM

What article?  Link?

#11 George.

George.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1431 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:18 PM

The Treasury’s tweet shows slavery is still misunderstood

#12 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 08:25 AM

In Morocco, our red-headed guide, said he was probably descended from slaves taken from Ireland or Scotland in the 1600's.

#13 fina

fina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

at times I'm ashamed to be human, let alone white...

#14 Wheelsup

Wheelsup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:45 PM

You should only be ashamed of what you've done. You didn't kill the last mammoth, or anything else before you were born. Just  because your'e white doesn't mean of the other 3 billion + humans can have a go at you.

#15 Suffererof1crankymofo

Suffererof1crankymofo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

@ George, I'm on about a link to the article referred to by the OP, not your link.