• Create Account

With your Shetlink login details, all classifieds, private messages, and invoices are now accessed through the new Njord | Market system. Please see Njord | Market FAQ for more details.

Photo

Culture Trail in Lerwick.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Loki Viking

Loki Viking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 11:58 PM

Well, after seeing this week's Shetland Times I have to say I'm in full agreement with those who are unhappy about the commissions for the culture trail being given to people outwith Shetland.  

We have so much talent in Shetland which should have been used to create these public works of art.  

It would have given some of the many creative folk in Shetland the chance to work on an interesting project and it would also have kept the money in Shetland.

And at least it would have given us the confidence that something sensible would be created and not more "Lightsome Bouys" or worse.

Sadly, it seems those who made this bad decision are defiant and are not willing to re-think it but I live in hope that it will be.

And they wonder why we're angry.........

Edited by Loki Viking, 08 December 2019 - 12:04 AM.

• Suffererof1crankymofo likes this

#2 tirvaluk

tirvaluk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

I totally disagree. We don't have the talent in sculpture that is required for the project, and you want the best talent available from anywhere,not just local. Most of the people complaining don't want any money wasted on art, but it is art money it can't be used for other services as some folk think. There is definitely a need for more art work around the streets and hills of Shetland. Look at any other country.

• Davie P and Muckle Oxters like this