black lives matter

That Scottish aristocrat Earl Patrick built the Scalloway castle using what can only be described as slave labour. Muness was built using the same slave labour. These unfortunate workers were rounded up from all over the isles.

There's every chance some of my ancestors were enslaved by Scottish aristocracy to build these castles, I'm sure many must have died or been crippled during the construction.

I think the rabid Scottish nationalist Nicola Sturgeon should apologise to me for that.

I don't think Shetlanders have ever campaigned for these monuments to oppression be demolished. 

Maybe now is the time.

"surely not hard to see just check the compensation he was paid from the government when slavery was abolished"

Still can't find any links that he was a slave trader.  A link or two would be usefull.  !!!

how can you own slaves and not be a slave trader how did you come to have them if not from trade plenty of references on the internet to which companies received payments to free there slaves

"surely not hard to see just check the compensation he was paid from the government when slavery was abolished"

Still can't find any links that he was a slave trader.  A link or two would be usefull.  !!!

how can you own slaves and not be a slave trader how did you come to have them if not from trade plenty of references on the internet to which companies received payments to free there slaves

So, you can't back up your claim then ?

Where exactly are we going to draw the line here? Are we going to consider banning that lovely hymn "Amazing Grace" simply because it was written by a slave trader John Newton in the 1700s.

Are we going to demonise those who endorsed this hymn, such as Judy Collins, Elvis Presley, Aretha Franklyn, Alan Jackson, Johnny Cash, and many more?

President Obama sang this at the funeral of a murdered Methodist minister some years ago. I don't believe he would have been too concerned about the hymn's history and he was probably aware of it.

Most of our citizens are completely unaware of the history of individual buildings and streets in our towns and cities. Maybe we should leave it like that, we have problems enough these days without highlighting the crimes of the last few centuries, and trying to absolve our guilt by needlessly changing street names.

Tony Blair apologised for the slave trade, None of the Arab countries or African countries to my knowledge heavily involved in this trade apologised for selling their own people. Some African leaders became wealthier than English nobles.

It was a long long time ago and it was a vile trade, but I'm afraid I do not feel responsible for any of it and therefore I don't feel the need to apologise.

surely amazing grace a song written by a former slave trader as an apology is not to be banned nobody is suggesting knock down buildings but making people walk under Arthur andersons name everyday when some of them may have ancestors that suffered or died because of the slave trade seems unjust.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/27/britain-slave-trade

no just didn't think it was a hard to find information

surely amazing grace a song written by a former slave trader as an apology is not to be banned nobody is suggesting knock down buildings but making people walk under Arthur andersons name everyday when some of them may have ancestors that suffered or died because of the slave trade seems unjust.

So What, he is remembered for his transport company and boats were likely crewed by slaves,

White people were forced to join the navy at that time regardless of weather they wanted to or not.

The slaves Black or otherwise were enslaved by other Africans who are responsible for their enslavement.

on the Caribbean plantations countless Irish indentured servants died whist working and were treated more harshly.

In fact indentured servants were often just abductees who pirates sold into indenture under false pretenses and indentured servants who finished the time limit sometimes got re-abducted several time over and were never freed.

most people cant name their parents ancestry 5 generations back.

Some did bad things but many are remembered for the other things that weren't bad.

Some of my ancestors were killed or striped of property for begin catholic and somewhere Indians mistreated by the British East India company.

But to pin down a specific individual who mistreated a person who i descend from would take an enormous amount of research and the people who did that are bloody skeletons at this point.

But Maybe that's why BLM is attacking random tombstones as of late, 

0_220619cemetery9.jpg

https://eu.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2020/06/04/powdersville-cemetery-vandalized-graffitied/3150248001/

fba3b158-9aad-4ba4-ac29-af7f7fe82876-tom

Maybe i don't feel the need to dwell on misfortune of a distant ancestor whose misery has little to no effect on the people alive today and i don't wallow in self pity and beg for reparations because if you have to go back further than your Great grandparents you are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

i also see lots of people blaming Slavery for the misdeeds of black protesters,

Ok why wasn't this happening in the 1900s or even the 1950s?

the rise in crime seems to coincide with the rise of Single mothers, many of the black families were poor and a larger percentage on welfare.

Lots of reasons but you get more money as a single person than a couple many households split up,

Same thing is happening to poor white families just a larger percentage of Blacks were poor so it was more apparent on them first.

Besides this plenty of examples of people from these groups that have made something of themselves and raised a family well.

Would it not be more beneficial to encourage them to follow this example.

I think the rabid Scottish nationalist Nicola Sturgeon should apologise to me for that.

Perhaps the rabid British Nationalist could explain, clearly and concisely, just what Ms. Sturgeon should apologise for? 

Same thing that happened to Black people

adolph-hitler-was-black-all-of-his-photo

Sorry george I thought the comment was clear and concise enough, but obviously not for you. I thought she might find it in her tartan heart to apologise for Scottish nobility forcing members of our Shetland community into slavery. These castles are a stark reminder of the historic cruelty of the Scottish ruling class. 

(***admin edit - please only quote the section of text you are responding to rather than the whole discussion ***)

I don't read The Guardian..

Anyway, before it limited my "experience", I only saw one reference to P&O with no additional information.

Did I miss something ?

Edited by admin
tidying up nested quotes

That Scottish aristocrat Earl Patrick built the Scalloway castle using what can only be described as slave labour. Muness was built using the same slave labour. These unfortunate workers were rounded up from all over the isles.

There's every chance some of my ancestors were enslaved by Scottish aristocracy to build these castles, I'm sure many must have died or been crippled during the construction.

I don't think Shetlanders have ever campaigned for these monuments to oppression be demolished.

Maybe now is the time.

The Scottish Lairds can still be found in the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminster, to end their undemocratic rule you would have to vote for the only UK mainland party who want that archaic institution abolished, guess who that is. :razz: Edited by Capeesh

Maybe now is the time.

The Scottish Lairds can still be found in the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminster, to end their undemocratic rule you would have to vote for the only UK mainland party who want that archaic institution abolished, guess who that is. :razz:

Dir nae Bruse o' Sumra ur Symbister, Hunter o; Lynna ur ony o' da rest o' dem sittin a London.

Hoosumever, wi did pit Scott, da Laird o' Gardie a Holyrood aa be wirsells fur a while........ It wid seem owre monny o' wis ir no dun wi tippin dir hat ta da auld Laird yit.

Is fur auld Patrick's castle...... Da story goes da auld Skallawa fokk keepit dir kye athin ir eftir da Scottie gud. If it ever happened, it wis da best use sho ever hed. Sudda been shulled afore da hill is infill fur Blacksness years ago.

Edited by Ghostrider

(***admin edit - please only quote the section of text you are responding to rather than the whole discussion ***)

I don't read The Guardian..

Anyway, before it limited my "experience", I only saw one reference to P&O with no additional information.

Did I miss something ?

sorry you don't read the guardian probably the best newspaper on the shelf non profit no Rupert murdocks to dictate its direction.  Also it must be forgotten the massive part p&o played in the heroin trade which caused untold misery in the east and enslaved the population into addiction and misery.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZyikV4Kspy8C&pg=PA123&lpg=PA123&dq=p%26o+plantation+owners&source=bl&ots=9Unf_ZADNw&sig=ACfU3U3uXmilMr0bjDUT3TAKDBU6-Vj2pQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1t4mTk_PpAhXKSxUIHZGwBIIQ6AEwC3oECBAQAQ#v=onepage&q=p%26o%20plantation%20owners&f=false

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=47vEDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=p%26o+plantation+owners&source=bl&ots=xO2C5NkWdP&sig=ACfU3U3c-8la-2ZzgA1XHc3v-omQ6w0eZQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1t4mTk_PpAhXKSxUIHZGwBIIQ6AEwEHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=p%26o%20plantation%20owners&f=false

http://www.inmotionaame.org/texts/viewer.cfm;jsessionid=f8302302041591615254079?id=1_035T&bhcp=1

https://www.obv.org.uk/news-blogs/caribbean-nations-demand-slave-reparations

Edited by admin
tidying up nested quotes

Could Enoch Powell's vision in 1968 be coming true.

i sincerely hope not but recent events do nothing to diminish anything he said, no matter what ones view.   

If it is this isn’t the issue that would demonstrate it.

Perhaps things like Grooming gangs, forced prostitution and human trafficking of English Girls in the UK associated with it align more with his prophecy.

It is pretty clear that the perpetrators and politicians in collusion are the ones who have the Whip hand there.

The whip hand was over other groups for example Sikhs were also victims of this too,

Although they were far more able to retaliate without being stopped by the authorities.

BLM are an annoyance but not a threat in the political sense, at least no more so than a regular gang of arsonists and raiders.

Its more a political gang than a racial gang full of White Baizuo, seriously the Klu Klux Klan probably has more black people as a percentage of members than BLM does

We are dealing with Far left activists capitalizing on this in a similar fashion to how the IRA was a Marxist-Leninist group that used the situation in Northern Ireland to capitalize on discontented Catholics and collect donations from sympathetic Irish Americans.

We are dealing with people who see "Social democracy" as "[social] fascism" because it doesn’t go far enough.

Look up "Social Fascism" its what hardly anyone associates with the term but it is conducive to goals of the rabid activists to think they are opposing the more familiar variant of fascism.

Not that there aren’t people waiting for “something” to happen future Balkanization and civil war are a popular topic of discussion.

330px-Yugoslavia_%281946-1990%29_locatio330px-Former_Yugoslavia_2008.PNG

Edited by NullVoid