Transferring sms to new phone

filskadacat

Any of you clever techie people out there able to help me please?

Have recently acquired a new phone on the usual principle that lorry-driving husband, who has contract so he can tell me how late he is going to be, every now and again gets a ’free’ handset and the other 3 of us take turns having the new one. It is my turn this time as I am taking the Scottish schools’ debating team to South Korea in July (link to ‘Where are you off to next?’!) and so need a quad band if I am to stay in touch with home. What was on offer was a Nokia e50 ‘business’ phone with e-mail and goodness knows what else and a fancy coloured screen that I can see only with my specs on in a good light. The one nice thing is that whereas on all my previous Nokias I have had Hamnataing carefully transcribed for me by my techie son, this thing will take a ring tone directly from the CD, so now I have the great pleasure of Da Bid themselves playing for me. (Chris – if you’re reading this and want to continue that conversation we had about royalties in the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen years ago please pm me!)

To get back to my request. On the previous Nokia 6310i I still have a number of text messages for sentiment, going right back to one my elder son sent from a school trip to France to my very first mobile, a Philips which was bought on the pier head in Lerwick at the time of the Tall Ships in ‘99! They have all transferred from sim to sim incl recent one from same son when he was at Sandhurst saying he’d just been thrown out of a bar by Prince William. Because they are on the phone, it now seems that I can’t get them from there to the e50. Husband is due to get 6310i as his old one is falling apart – I really really do not want to lose all these texts and their dates – 21st century equivalent of important family letters which I can carry about with me. I have been told that it ought to be possible to transfer them from the phone to the sim thence to the new phone thence get them from sim on to e50 itself – but techie son is now in Belize on jungle warfare training (‘s ok, he comes out and goes to university before the regiment go back to Iraq) and husband would like the use of the phone.

Sorry this is so long – you can tell it’s the holidays! All assistance most gratefully received.

Hi.

I've never used the phones you mention in your post, but I know when I upgraded from a Samsung D500 to a Sony Ericsson k800i I was wanting to transfer some meaningful text messages over.

I sat going through all the options for ages (without blowing my own trumpet, I like to think I'm quite good when it comes to all this technology stuff) and couldn't find anything that would let me do it, so gave up and lost the messages forever.

You might be better trying some mobile phone forums (http://www.expansys.com/fo.aspx is something I've used before) as there are people there that are mobile geeks.

David

Thanks very much for trying to help David. I have had a quick look at the site you recommend but don't see either phone listed so when I have a moment later on will try registering and ask for help there. Meanwhile any other flashes of genius from Shetlinkers welcome - although I suspect that if departed SuperNerd son couldn't do it, and David has tried for himself and couldn’t do it, I'm just going to end up having to type in copies of the texts and their dates sent to new phone, and that may have to do. :(

Done a little bit more digging around... Do you have a lead you can connect your computer to your Nokia6310i, or infra-red on your machine? If so...

http://europe.nokia.com/A4143074

It might not work, but its worth ago. Not having a Nokia phone myself it's difficult to tell. If that program can back up text messages then it might be possible to somehow but them back on to your new phone using the software supplied with it (again I'm not sure).

As david says if you could find a programme to remove the messages and store them on you computer - you could then potentially upload them back onto your phone.

Nokias own "PC Suite" software is utter stoness to put it lightly.... so you would be better off going with some of the others.

In the past I did use software by some Russian firm that I now don't have and can't remember the name. It wasn't ideal - but did allow you to download everything from sim / phone to PC and upload again. A backup perse.

There are other hardware type SIM backup tools too that you may want to examine such as this thing here on eBay - please note that I can't vouch for this as I have never seen it used before.

Stumbling blocks will be whether your texts are stored on the actual phone itself or on the sim. Whether the software / hardware you attempt to use can download from either or both. Whether you can transfer your texts between the phone / sim if need be for the sake of the software / hardware you try.

Good luck.

David, Trout - thank you both so much for your trouble. Have been out all day (so eBay thing had finished and details were gone - but at least I have the name of it) and away tomorrow too - thereafter will have a go at what you recommend. Many thanks for taking time to help me and will let you know how I get on.