Unst News Website

I got given this by a friend of mine, and I don't mean to be sceptical, but isn't Unst a little small to have a website of its own like this? How many people stay there, about 200?

What is everybody elses views on this, and if it does work (and shut me up!) then would it work in other rural parts of Shetland, or is www.shetland-news.co.uk good enough for everybody else?

Fair Isle have had a "News" type site up and running for quite a while have they not, and they're considerably smaller in physical terms, although that needn't necessarily mean smaller in newsworthy happenings.

That said, I have no clue how "successful" it is in terms to contributions/local support/hits, but there are others here who may know.

Personally I think the small volume of real "News" in Shetland is easily enough covered by one site, as Shetland News does. But more localised sites could be handy to occasionally visit for any area of particular interest.

I've just read my first post over and it comes across wrong I think. I wasn't trying to put the idea of a more regional news website off, I was more after an opinion of what other people though of it. I do hope it works for them and if successful I hope others follow. It would be good to have a community website such as this one. But also have the option of the overall Shetland News aswell.

There was a site run by the KraZee Unst Man http://www.krazee-unstman.co.uk/ which had lots of interesting bits in it. Sadly has been off line for maintenance for over a year but someone must be paying the bill as the link still works.

As for the number of residents needed to justify a web site I guess that it would help to have at least one person around to update things but there is no reason why, for example, Skerries Secondary School, could not run a decent website with just two pupils.

Firstly ...

I have to agree with Angela: The Fair Isle website is good ... having in mind the population figures backing it, it is outstanding in Scotland ... but we have to have in mind: There is one person quite obviously doing a lot of the job: Dave Wheeler ... himself attracting a lot of interest to the Fair Isle site due to his job as "weather froggy" for some other, probably more read sites in the north of Scotland ... ;-)

Secondly ...

We have other very good local websites in Shetland. Looking from abroad I would just like to mention the Northmavine website. So: Why should their no room for other intersting websites???

Thirdly ...

... and that is probably the most interesting aspect! Looking at your neighbours in Orkney ... or Caithness ... or further down to the west and south there are good local websites, too as are good community websites with interesting community news and stuning photo blogs etc.

BUT ...

There is no area in the rest of Scotland - at least north of the Caledonian Canal - which has this unique multiple set as Shetland has: A traditional printed paper including its internet presentation as the Shetland Time /ShetlandToday, a news agency as Shetland News (its online presentation more and more regarded as a newspaper), and the ShetlinkForum to discuss the matters locally and Shetlopedia in the back for providing cross information???

SO WHY ...

should any new local website show its own newsboard or a discussion board??? ... or to repeat generals about Shetland??? It is probably just the question of job /capacity sharing ...

Sorry ... I am Looking from abroad ... ;-)

• 3 weeks later...