Router monitoring software

DizzyKipper

I wanted to get to one of the white boxes that monitored your connection from SamKnows, but after the completing the first two steps, and waiting for it to arrive I got an email saying they had enough people!

It would be nice to see what's going on. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Software needs be free/open source and take minimal resources.

Most routers have a logging facility built into them, just gotta switch it on. Depending on the router, they'll save different amounts of information.

Also open up a Command Prompt and type in 'netstat -a' this will show you all open connections on the pc your currently on.

Hope that helps ye a bit.

• 2 months later...

PRTG is a windows network monitor tools that is created for router monitoring and network monitoring. It also monitor our CRP statistics and provide system administration. There are mainly two version of PRTG. One is Free Network Monitor and second is Commercial Edition of our router monitor.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found some :D It might help people monitor their connection, esp those having problems. It doesn't have my router model so I just picked any Belkin, put in my IP for it and it worked first time. MY router stats are available without having to log in to it so I didn't have to add my login details either.

http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstatslite

I downloaded the 'Lite' version which requires no install.

It monitors your ping, sync rate (your connection speed to the exchange), and SNR. Takes a few minutes before you start seeing graphs.

Possibly a bit boring for a good connection. The examples are interesting though, appraching storms and such.

NOTE it won't monitor your data speed like Speedtest does - it's not what it's for.

There is also a 'full-fat' version as well.

Hope that helps some people :)

• 2 weeks later...

www.sourceforge.net

This site will get you free open source software for almost anything you want to do, from gaming to network tools!

I wanted to get to one of the white boxes that monitored your connection from SamKnows, but after the completing the first two steps, and waiting for it to arrive I got an email saying they had enough people!

It would be nice to see what's going on. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Software needs be free/open source and take minimal resources.