what age group

wozzi71

It does seem to be a mixture of age groups.

Probably best if you split the age groups into three:-

1. Young adults

2. Middle age

3. Elderly

Category number 1 I would say have very few candidates.

Category number 2 is quite popular. A lot of people get fed up with city life and want to get as far away as possible. Shetland is about as far as you can go without getting a visa. An established middle-aged family can flog their house on the mainland earning a nice profit to buy a decent sized house in Shetland. Along with this they bring their children which will then include category number 1 unless they go to Uni never to be seen again.

Category number 3 is probably the most popular. Where shall I spend my retirement fund? In a run down city-centre estate or in the (relatively) safe and clean Shetland Islands? Category 3 is quite often an offshoot of Category 2. Cat 2 moves up here, likes it and then the parents move up.

Why do you ask?

?

Sick of where you are at present? London(ish) by all accounts., no?

Let's move you say .... other end of country altogether ..

Hmm... "furst" things first .. lock stock and two muckle smoking capstan fullstrength barrels!

Can this be a good move - city life to the back of basically nowhere in comparison!? What can one give and or achieve ...? Small community - 20 + odd thousand peeps; island; work maybe?; island; wind; whit wirk? housing? - shall I expect council to provide?; rain; work?; isolation; work?; benefit?; friends?; sea; can i even be employed by anybody?; winter; work?; services?; community; does one "fit in"?; work?; baltic; .... ad infinitum ....

What can one say about "life" in Shetland .... for the potential "move to Shetland" set?

Several new members of Shetlink have enquired about this over the last few months ... should there be a "semi-definitive" list of things ...? Can established members provide "dir tak on dis aa? fur hit'd mak a coarn 'o sense if dir wis a poast dat head aa o dis in it raeder as aniider treed efter anidder treed efter anidder treed - an aa wirk and nae play made jack nicholson a mad troot and a fekin dull fekin boy!!" pleeps!

?