Gaelic Road Signs

shooshjimmy

This is worth reading http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm I do seem to remember some part of the Scottish Government saying that Gaelic language signs would not be use in parts of the country that have no history of speaking the Language. Anyway are there Gaelic words for Shetland's place names?. Surely "Lerwick" would be treated the same way as "helicopter" and just absorbed into the Gaelic language. Or would the Gaelic Mafia decide to turn Lerwick into "Muddy Bay" and then translate that?.

Who are 'they'?

It would indeed be a stupendously brilliant waste of money, but surely there can't be any truth in it? Maybe once the signs are up 'they' might decide it would cost too much to change them again, and the cheaper option would be for us all to be taught Gaelic.

A mate of mine has a farm on the Black Isle and when he was driving their Australian farmhand to the airport and they passed all the bilingual roadsigns he said 'bloody hell, they're going to great lengths to help all these Polish folk here!'

• 2 weeks later...
Surely "Lerwick" would be treated the same way as "helicopter" and just absorbed into the Gaelic language.

Yes, into something like this: Leithaoir Uig :lol:

I predict an immediate and steep surge in offences relating to the defacement and vandalism of road signs in Shetland, should they suddenly start spouting weird looking unpronouncable Scottie things on them.

That happened in the north of Norway, when they started putting bilingual 'Norwegian/Saami' roadsigns up in the late 1990's.