Home Report

swc123

That price is absolutely correct.

I have however, heard that shetland may be exempt from this process, although this has been kept very quiet from house sellers by the surveyors. A friend of mine was told this AFTER she handed over a cheque to a surveyor for a home pack.

You should maybe research this a bit further, however, I imagine as a buyer the appeal of a house with a home report supplied in comparison to a property where you have to pay for your own survey would be different.

If the house is not going on the open market, i.e. being sold via word of mouth or privately rather than through a lawyer a survey and energy efficiency thing they do is sufficient. That costs around £350.

Hope that helps.

I can't find anything online to back up the fact that shetland is exempt...I suspect I may have fallen for an urban myth!!

But there are some exemptions, if you google search "Home information pack exemptions" they are listed and I am right about the private sale bit.

Hope all goes well.

Becky

From very deep within the Govt's site:

EXCEPTIONS TO THE DUTY TO PROVIDE A HOME REPORT

A seller or their agent who markets a house from 1 December onwards must provide a copy of a Home Report, but there are some exceptions. These are listed below.

New housing - New housing includes houses that may be sold 'off-plan' to the first purchaser or sold to the first occupier. Any subsequent sale of a house will not be exempt even if it has a certificate from, for example, the National House-Building Council (NHBC).

Newly converted premises - This means a property which is being, or has been, converted to a house if it has not previously been used in its converted state.

Right to Buy homes - As the sale of a house to a tenant under the 'Right to Buy' does not involve marketing, the duty to provide a Home Report does not apply. A separate package of information is being developed for Right to Buy purchasers.

Seasonal and holiday accommodation - This exception refers to seasonal and holiday accommodation (as defined in planning legislation), which only has permission to be used for less than 11 months in any year. It does not include second homes or holiday cottages that could be used all year if the owner so chose.

A portfolio of residential properties - This means a house which is to be sold with one or more other houses and where it is clear from the manner in which the houses are marketed that the seller does not intend to accept an offer to buy one of those houses in isolation from another. Sales of a portfolio of residential properties are considered to be commercial transactions. A house which is ancillary to a principal property may include, for example a 'granny flat', or butler's cottage that is attached to a larger property on a country estate.

'Mixed sales'- This occurs where a house is sold with one or more non-residential properties (provided it is clear that the seller does not intend to consider an offer to buy the house separately from the non-residential property). This might include farmhouses that are part of a working farm, or flats above shops or pubs that are sold with the shop or pub.

Dual use of a dwelling house - This describes the situation where the house is, or forms part of, a property most recently used for both residential and non-residential purposes, such as a commercial studio where the owner also lives in the house.

Unsafe properties - Unsafe properties are evidently in a condition that poses a serious risk to the health or safety of occupants or visitors, or where the way the house is marketed suggests it is unsuitable for occupation in that condition. There is little point in a condition survey being undertaken on a house that is unfit for occupation in any case, and is being advertised as such.

Properties to be demolished - There is an exception for houses to be demolished where it is clear the house is suitable for demolition and all the necessary consents have been obtained for demolition and consents obtained for redevelopment. There is little point in a condition survey being undertaken on a house that is to be demolished and is being advertised as a development site.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/Housing/BuyingSelling/Home-Report/buyers/advice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new here and just popped in from Orkney to ask about the costs of your home report surveys when I found this thread.

It seems some of it may have been answered by the quote from Taits, more or less the same price here too although the cost of a home report in Edinburgh is half the price and I'm a bit unsure as to why.

I've also noted Becky's comment about the private sale thing but don't know how that fits in. If you have to have a home report then you just have to get a surveyor out and they never asked me whether I was marketing it privately or not?

I'll google it Becky and see what I can come up with!

You have a very nice, informative forum here by the way!

Basically the only bit I know for sure is that my uncle sold his house without advertisement through word of mouth...but he (well actually I) did pay for a normal survey to be done which was around £350 anyway by the time they had charged for milleage and such like. But that is around half the price of a home report pack so...it could work out for some.

The sale has gone through a lawyer with no problems so I assume this was perfectly legal, however I cannot advise anyone in any proper way as i'm certainly not a lawyer myself, only talking from very limited experience!!

I had, sort of, heard of that.

Somebody told me that if you sold a house because somebody approached you, then you didn't need a home report. But I think it's the terminology that's throwing me.

A Home Report in itself includes the single survey, the EPC and the Seller's questionnaire (at least I think it does!) Plus, just to confuse matters further, it also includes a generic valuation and you can have the Home Report done without this which makes it slightly cheaper.

The survey in Scotland has to be done by a RICS registered 'residential' surveyor (not just any old one) and the EPC by an assessor.

Trouble is, if I wanted a Home Report done on my property and it was in Edinburgh (phoned a RICS recommended surveyor) it's £300, out here it comes in at anything between £500-£760. Not helped I suppose by the average pricings given on the Scottish Gov website.

Bottom line is, it's a real stinger!!!!