Obama "disappointed" at release of torture photos

Ally

"Today we are engaged in a deadly global struggle for those who would intimidate, torture, and murder people for exercising the most basic freedoms. If we are to win this struggle and spread those freedoms, we must keep our own moral compass pointed in a true direction." - Obama, 2008

That, to me, reads that America and her allies should not endorse the use of morally dubious interrogation techniques, ie water-boarding and out-right torture.

Shame, then, that the BBC's website today carries this story :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8509787.stm

"...Mr Mohamed was intentionally subjected to continuous sleep deprivation, as well as threats and inducements, including playing on his fears that he would be passed on to another country....

...London learnt that the stress brought on by these deliberate tactics was increased by him being shackled during his interviews and that Mr Mohamed was eventually placed on suicide watch...".

Much of which was backed up by photographic evidence. Despite pleas from the UK and US government for courts to deny this man the opportunity to show what he's been through by releasing the photos, both administrations petitioned the courts to prevent their disclosure.

"the court's judgment will complicate the confidentiality of our intelligence-sharing relationship with the UK, and it will have to factor into our decision-making going forward.", claim the US.

Perhaps Obama's moral compass has, sadly, been realigned since his inauguration?

Yeah, it's difficult to say. I read extracts from his pre-presidential books and he does come across as a highly intelligent, morally grounded individual... be a shame if it was all bull, or he was in some way compromised.

He certainly seemed more ideological and progressive than Blair clone David 'Milli-bland'; a careerist cypher whose principles and opinions are little more than a tired assembly of soundbites and Blairite Cliche.

Almost makes me miss Thatcher. At least her unchecked lust for power and obvious contempt for the 'working man' wasn't hidden behind a bland, media-savvy facade...

Guest Anonymous

Lets remember that this poor soul came here as an asylum seeker because his activities in his country of birth were not condusive to his continued good health, ie he was a terrorist.

then let us also not forget that after coming here and recieving asylum and public funds he went to an Al Qaida training camp for the purpose of learning how to kill as many evil westerners as possible.

So being hancuffed and shouted at and having a bit of water poured over him to get him to tell what he knows and if any others are up to the same shiite as him then good. I really don't understand why anyone in this country gives a toss for him as he only meant us harm.

he is not british and has not contributed to this society in any way that could be considered benificial.

send him back to the country he came from and let them deal with their own however the law in their land says they should.

And next time someone turns up on our shores saying their goverment wants to kill them, take the time to find out why as it will save a lot of lives here if we just send the buggerrs home again on the next plane.

Other people have shared your view, Rona. Specifically Mr Mohamed's American appointed defence lawyer, who said:

"You have to realise, I'm a soldier, I was a true believer. I thought 'This guy's a terrorist....I was concerned, walking into a cell with someone that someone had told me was a terrorist, the worst of the worst, and I truly believed that."

However, unlike you or I, she was in the unique position of being able to speak to the guy and find out the truth, which, as it transpired, was that he was locked up for several years, severely tortured (including a scalpel to his genitals, repeated beatings and being strung up for literally weeks on end) and ultimately released because he clearly wasn't a terrorist.

You should read this article for a fuller picture: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7906880.stm

Also, do you really think we should close the doors to people seeking help? People trying to escape the horrors of their own country to try and make a safer, better life for themselves?