Guitar Tunings, Strings and Chords

ewenutz

I'm lookin for a peerie bit of advice aboot my bass, I have a Fender P-Bass an a Fender 5 String J-Bass. I have the P-Bass tuned to Eb Ab Db Gb an currently I have me J-Bass 5 string tuned to B Gb B E Ab for playing along we a Drop B tuned electric guitar. Is dir a better tuning I could use on my J-bass for drop B.

Wan problem is, I dunna lik da soond of da jazz bass, its very metallic and twangy soonding I want a warmer mellower tone lik my precision. Da precison is active, an da jazz is passive, so obviously dis will be an issue. I just wondered if dirs some sorta string/pickup combination I could use to achieve a warmer tone. Am willing to try a few modifications afore I resort to looking for a different bass.

Am no very clued up on either bass or da tunings, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey ewenutz

The standard tuning for a 5 string is (low to high) B - E - A - D - G, like a normal four string with an extra B below. Tuning it like that makes it relatively easy to swap between the 4 and 5 string instruments as the intervals between each string on both instruments is the same

If dy four string is tuned Eb - Ab - Db - Gb it might be worth trying tuning the low string on the 5 to Bb to keep the intervals the same

If du's looking for a warmer sound from the Jazz bass, use the neck pick-up mainly (the one nearer the bridge gives more of a mid range honk) and pluck nearer the neck

Jazz basses are by nature a bit more mid/top heavy in tone than a Precision. Try comparing the two by playing them unplugged so you can see what difference the pick-ups and electronics are making.

If the Jazz bass sounds a lot more twangy that the Precision, it's probably because the strings are newer or are a lighter gauge. I'd try a heavier gauge before resorting to making modifications. And you canna beat some sweat and dead skin among the string windings to take the top end off!

If you're needing a hand setting the basses up, geez a shout!

Hey ewenutz

The standard tuning for a 5 string is (low to high) B - E - A - D - G, like a normal four string with an extra B below. Tuning it like that makes it relatively easy to swap between the 4 and 5 string instruments as the intervals between each string on both instruments is the same

If dy four string is tuned Eb - Ab - Db - Gb it might be worth trying tuning the low string on the 5 to Bb to keep the intervals the same

If du's looking for a warmer sound from the Jazz bass, use the neck pick-up mainly (the one nearer the bridge gives more of a mid range honk) and pluck nearer the neck

Jazz basses are by nature a bit more mid/top heavy in tone than a Precision. Try comparing the two by playing them unplugged so you can see what difference the pick-ups and electronics are making.

If the Jazz bass sounds a lot more twangy that the Precision, it's probably because the strings are newer or are a lighter gauge. I'd try a heavier gauge before resorting to making modifications. And you canna beat some sweat and dead skin among the string windings to take the top end off!

If you're needing a hand setting the basses up, geez a shout!

Thanks I'll try dat we da pluckin, am just no convinced it soonds lik it should do, compared to my P-bass, it soonds terrible, dae soond totally different to each idder. Da problem we da tuning is I play both guitar and bass, both very poorly, so am always swapping between dem, an if its tuned da same as my drop B tuned jackson, den i find it a lot easier!

If I could only find a 5 string P-bass i like, my problems wid be ower, dae seem to be lik hens teeth!