SSE - getting your money back

upnorth76

I have over paid the SSE since March last year and i have over paid by a very large sum of money. However the SSE don't seem to think so, although the payments out of my bank account against the SSE readings are clearly far greater than the SSE readings make out to be. How do i go about getting the money due to me back from them. I have tried to speak via email and phone since i found out about this and i'm get fobbed off with excuess after excuess.

Some advice would be appreciated

If SSE aren't accepting that they've been overpaid, probably the first thing to do is present them with your calculations of what you believe you should have paid for the period, and evidence (bank statement copies) of what has actually been paid to them, and demand they explain the difference in the two sums.

Until and unless your figures and calculations are put up alongside their's and one or other proven to be wrong, SSE hold the upper hand. They already have your cash, and you have no leverage, cut up rough too much and they can pull the plug on your power.

Might be worth asking the CAB if they can offer any advice, I would imagine its something they see from time to time, given the level of folk who get estimated bills and pay by DD, coupled with SSE's diabloical ability to estimate anywhere near correctly.

If SSE aren't accepting that they've been overpaid, probably the first thing to do is present them with your calculations of what you believe you should have paid for the period, and evidence (bank statement copies) of what has actually been paid to them, and demand they explain the difference in the two sums.

Until and unless your figures and calculations are put up alongside their's and one or other proven to be wrong, SSE hold the upper hand. They already have your cash, and you have no leverage, cut up rough too much and they can pull the plug on your power.

Might be worth asking the CAB if they can offer any advice, I would imagine its something they see from time to time, given the level of folk who get estimated bills and pay by DD, coupled with SSE's diabloical ability to estimate anywhere near correctly.

Many thanks for that. I have already send them calculations in black & white, with details of payments with from my bank but to no avail. I still get fobbed off. I have had the usual letters/estimates rangeing from £50 to £700 to £265 over the past year/18 months asking for payment, also received letters of disconnection & debt agency collections letters. I haven't paid by DD since 2008 as i work out how much i spend each month (based on rates they have provided me with) and pay by SO.

But as i say SSE don't want to acknowledge any of my findings, maybe i should stop paying them and use up the amount they are due me, before i start paying them again.

upnorth76 wrote
I have had the usual letters/estimates rangeing from £50 to £700 to £265 over the past year/18 months asking for payment,
One thing worries me here. Have you had your meter read?. Doubt if they will be giving you a refund until they do that.

the SSE only send out their representative once a year to where i live to take a metre reading, which is due to be taken next month. However I have given them 2 metre readings this year so far, once on April 28th when requested do so and again on 28th September 2010, and the calculation shows i have over paid.

Hi upnorth76,

I had the same issue with SSE. After several hours spent on non-productive and very frustrating telephone calls, I took all the calculations, bills, amounts paid, records of phone calls and other communication, etc, to CAB. They offered to speak to the company on my behalf and less than half an hour later had secured a full refund from them. Get all your paperwork in order, then go to the CAB. They're brilliant!