Islesburgh Photographic Club

Malcolm

Islesburgh Photographic Club, Lerwick, Shetland

We are a group of amateur enthusiasts who meet regularly at the Islesburgh Community Centre in Lerwick from October through to May (see our Programme page for details.)

Take a look at our News Page for the most recent events and other snippets.

Check out our Links page for some interesting sites and links to members' personal galleries.

We are always looking for new members, so If you would like to join our Club or learn more about us, either give us a call or drop us an e-mail using the "Contact Us" form in this site. Alternatively just come along to one of our meetings at the Islesburgh Centre and meet the members.

We hope you enjoy browsing our site.

http://www1.clikpic.com/islesburghphotoclub/index.html

Lifts may be possible from outlying areas.

Some stunning shots there Malcolm. I bought a DSLR around 2 year ago but find it difficult to get a grasp of probably even the basics. I could do with some help but have little time to get out and about to practice.

What are the charges and how long do you meet for?

Once a month doesn't seem like much, do you just gather to show your images or do you do tuition too?

Cheers

Hi Biglad.

The meetings run from 7.30pm till 10pm once a month (more if there is a lot going on), we enter into national, International and inhouse competitions. We also exhibit locally. In 2010 there was an exhibition held in the museum and 2011 we held an exhibition at the Gilbert Bain Hospital (we are hoping to exhibit in more venues as we go along).

There is a annual membership fee (I will find out how much this is going to be this year and post it here) and there are more than enough professionals who are more than willing to give their expert help.

Let me know where you live and I will see who is in your area that might be able to give you some pointers.

Mal

Had a quick look and will be back for more but one thing strikes me about a lot of the photos which is that the skill has been the photographer seeing that there is a good picture to be had rather than any technical tricks with an expensive camera.

Funny enough I have a digital SLR camera donated by my sister and have yet to get out of using it in anything other than simple mode. Going to set myself the task of learning how to use it properly as a winter project but concentrating on which of the many functions available will be of most use to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...