Job Resignations

Hi,

This is not another Carmichael bash thread so lets not go there again, but leading on from that topic,

If someone lies or deliberately misinforms  either the public or employers in the line of their job at what point should they resign or be sacked?

At what point or how bad do you think things have to be to ask someone to leave their job?

Edited by wotsit

Well, if you use the SIC management structure as your benchmark, apparently never.

In private enterprise I'd say it was a matter between employer and employee and no-one else. In public service one would hope anyone being anything less than fully forthcoming and honest would be liable to censure of one degree or another, but any hope of that is long gone. Such is the level of manipulating information in public service circles at all levels that the only default setting is to assume they're lying if their lips are moving and proceed on that basis.

This is a very fair question and I fear there is no easy answer.  In an ideal world all employees would tell the truth at all times but if, just as an example, my employer wants me to tell a customer that his order was sent yesterday when I know the item only arrived today and is still sitting in the despatch area should I feel guilty telling the same employer that I was held up in heavy traffic on the ring road when in fact I just took a longer lunch break.

Yes I have told lots of lies to employers and customers and I guess the only thing I can say in my defence is that generally I worked quite hard for my employers and on the whole I cared for customers and the majority of lies did no great harm to anyone.

As for elected representatives telling lies I believe it is a matter of what lie they tell to who.  If a Faeroe newspaper reporter was to ask a member of the Scottish, Danish or Icelandic government if there was any truth in the story that Faeroe was going to be invaded tomorrow would we really expect that member of those governments to admit that this would happen.  And ahead of the budget would it be fair to expect any chancellor or finance minister to admit that VAT was going to jump 10% tomorrow.  Complicated world.