Travel Insurance and Damaged Baggage Claim Question

BigMouth

from the BA website

Lost, delayed or damaged bags

If your baggage is damaged on arrival, or does not turn up:

Contact British Airways staff immediately

Details of your baggage will be taken and you will be offered immediate assistance

You will be given a file reference number, which you should keep safe

You can track lost baggage online if you have a file reference number

We will replace damaged bags as soon as possible after you have reported them

British Airways’ liability could be reduced if baggage was presented for check-in unsuitably packed or after the recommended check-in time.

If your baggage has been delayed arrangements will be made to have it delivered to your local address when it arrives. This service is not available in some countries due to local government restrictions.

Should you need to make a claim for compensation, this will be required in writing within seven days after your arrival to your nearest British Airways airport office or your should contact your insurance company.

To help us process your claim quickly, please quote the reference given to you when you reported your baggage as delayed or damaged.

If you need to contact British Airways regarding your lost baggage, in the UK call: 08457 222 767, or contact your local British Airways office.

Well thats an interesting statement from the BA website.......the relevant paragraph (complete with error) says you should make a claim within 7 days OR contact your insurance company. Well you went for the OR option first and claimed within 7 days after the cheapskate insurance company rejected the claim.

And just for good measure I saw nothing on the BA website telling people to claim against airlines that fly in BA colours, with staff dressed as BA staff, with BA tickets and BA flight numbers to make claims against the operator and not BA.

... I'm afraid, it will be no help ... but:

Saturday newpapers over here published the actual figures of the European Aviation Council stating that BA is the worst carrier in Europe as far as lost luggage is concerned (lost pieces of luggage per 1000 travellers) ... :cry:

You were at least half right!

The IATA don't get involved in these matters, but they do advise who you should contact in these cases, and generally in cases where the airline's customer services have failed to meet expectations: -

The Air Transport Users' Council

CAA House

45-59 Kingsway

London

WC2B 6TE

Tel 020-7240 6061

Apparently the AUC produce two excellent leaflets: -

Travel Happy and Flight Plan.

These are also available from the website http://www.auc.org.uk

Sadly, it looks as though this is going nowhere: -

Time limits

The Montreal Convention states that claims should be made to an airline in writing within specified time limits. The time limits are:

damaged baggage – seven days from the receipt of the bags

grrrrrrr!!

• 2 weeks later...

BA / Loganair have restored my faith in (Corporate) humanity.

This morning I received a letter from them advising that they had looked at the claim again and were prepared to pay out on this occasion, so a £90 cheque should be winging its way to me once I complete their form.

Thanks for everyone who input their views and knowledge on this.