Shetland Transport Forum

Muppet

Scalloways revenue should be up a bit in the past two years as there has been a lot of offshore support tonnage through the harbour and space rental etc., too.

However, i am arguing against myself as i believe one of the the only gains for LPA to be running things would be to entice this offshore trade back to Lerwick if possible for reasons of efficiency of handling, though the shipping currently benefit from the efficiency of reduced mileage travelled. This may leave Scalloway at a loss perhaps since the Eurocrats torpedoed the fishing industry. LPA make a large part of their income from cruise liners and all but the smallest would struggle in most of the other ports.

BUT i don't think anyone would really go for the idea of LPA 'taking over' that is not what is being officially proposed at all.

I do feel that the only gain in a new 'uber-authority' being formed is that of turning the bressay bridge debate into an internal issue and not one that employs lawyers long-term at the highest level. The downside to this though is that any reduction in lawyers would probably be balanced by an increase in consultation, even though both parties have already employed that manner of investigation.