Metal Bashing

HacksawDuggan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i for one love cock rock...........long live wet dripping cock rock. with all the sticky choc sauce you can take.......may you suck swallow and slurp until you have "morning sickness" let that stuff flow in and out of you "in out" "in out" until you lay on the floor in a "hazy mazy lazy" daze. before you know it, it will be "halloween" already and you have forgotten to feed the "kitty", so now pick your self off of the floor go down to the "cellardoor" and get that bitch some food. oh how it will cry and cry, but you must be strong, just call out im "on my way" and then cram that cat food in its fat food hole, batten down the hatches timmy its gonna be a "stormy night"... let me just get "my doll" and put her to bed

Guest Anonymous
What shetland needs is another sparticus.

Haha, seriously though, bring on tha funk shetland.

Hey, don't knock Stevie Colin and Mathew. I was at quite a lot of their gigs and never saw the crowd go home complaining. Far to much 'energy' in the performance for that to happen.

It's not all bad elsewhere either. I've seen quite a few young bands at Scalloway Hall in recent months and a few show quite a bit of promise.

The biggest problem I see is that far to many try to play their own stuff and it's NOT what the audience wants to hear particulary as most of it is 'average' and no more.

I've been around for quite some time and can remmember bands like Rainbow Pavement, Quicksilver, Pete Stack and the Rayburns plus many others and I've been at a lot of good local gigs.

Most of the damage to the local rock scene has been caused by the influx of 'south' bands that have, basically, choked off the demand for local bands and, now that they seem to have dried up, it should recover.

Another problem is that audiences at country halls seem to be comprised mainly of younger people. Not a bad thing in itself but, they seem to have driven the older crowd away and older musicians don't seem to like playing for them.

Lots of room for discussion on this one.

The biggest problem I see is that far to many try to play their own stuff and it's NOT what the audience wants to hear particulary as most of it is 'average' and no more.

So you want covers bands?

That wouldn't make for an interesting or vibrant music scene. Belive me, I've been in a few!

I've been around for quite some time and can remmember bands like Rainbow Pavement, Quicksilver, Pete Stack and the Rayburns plus many others and I've been at a lot of good local gigs.

Most of the damage to the local rock scene has been caused by the influx of 'south' bands that have, basically, choked off the demand for local bands and, now that they seem to have dried up, it should recover.

Another problem is that audiences at country halls seem to be comprised mainly of younger people. Not a bad thing in itself but, they seem to have driven the older crowd away and older musicians don't seem to like playing for them.

Lots of room for discussion on this one.

I can't see how it can be a problem not to have many cover bands?, fair enough a decent cover band is good entertainment for teenagers at halls and the occasional special spree (Moder Dy at the Bikers Winter Rally springs to mind). I really hope McFly was being sarcastic with his comment!. I think original rock music in Shetland is as healthy as it has been in years, mostly because there is hardly any cover bands on the go!.

I also partly disagree with the point about "Sooth Bands", maybe when a Shetland band put on a gig by themselves they didn't do so well because the crowds would rather save their pennies to see the next Sooth Band but when the next Sooth Band came up the Shetland Bands would get support slots with them, a good chance to for them to "put themselves in the shop window" I think that's how Suppository Business nearly got signed by an Aberdeen Based label (I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) and also a good way to measure how they were doing compared to a (usually) semi established band. Also in my experience the gigs usually had a great atmosphere

I agree with the final point on Halls, how can we get older folk back to the halls?, from experience Whalsay and Yell have good mixed age crowds at Hall gigs, maybe mainland halls can learn something from them?

For me that is the biggest problem with the Shetland Rock music scene, if we could get older people attending hall gigs and get more halls to be willing to host gigs I think things would be looking even brighter.

Guest Anonymous

So you want covers bands?

That wouldn't make for an interesting or vibrant music scene. Belive me, I've been in a few!

Sorry, it didn't translate the way I meant it to.

I have nothing against bands playing their own stuff but, I've seen a few that play nothing else and, when I look around and see no one dancing it seems pretty obvious (to me at least) that the band is not doing a very good job because the audience isn't responding.

The answer to that (in my humble opinion) is to throw in a couple of well know covers.

Seen quite a few music venues myself and, in my youth, played in a few as well.

You might also as yourself why, if cover bands don't make for a vibrant music scene, were Moder Dy, Suppository Business, Sufferin Aunties/Sparticus etc. so busy and well liked. Talent will always show through.

PS. I know they played their own stuff as well but they ALL started playing covers.

Guest Anonymous

I think original rock music in Shetland is as healthy as it has been in years, mostly because there is hardly any cover bands on the go!.

I agree that it is healthy but I don't think that is down to the lack of cover bands. I just think that everyone now believes that they are 'nowhere' unless they can throw in their own stuff. I'm not knocking anyone for trying. In fact the opposite is true. I just wish that, sometimes, they (the bands) would be a little more critical of their own work.

I also partly disagree with the point about "Sooth Bands", maybe when a Shetland band put on a gig by themselves they didn't do so well because the crowds would rather save their pennies to see the next Sooth Band but when the next Sooth Band came up the Shetland Bands would get support slots with them, a good chance to for them to "put themselves in the shop window" I think that's how Suppository Business nearly got signed by an Aberdeen Based label (I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) and also a good way to measure how they were doing compared to a (usually) semi established band. Also in my experience the gigs usually had a great atmosphere

A good point and I Think there is merit in both our opinions but, I still believe that 'Sooth Bands' have done more harm than good because they have denied local talent proper exposure. I know a lot of bands jumped at the chance of a support slot but, what is the point of putting on 3 or 4 support bands for a 10 minute spot each. Just adds to the confusion. One of the few that ever really gained benefit from the experience were 'Death by Monkeys' who played their first ever gig at Scalloway supporting Cosmic Rough Riders who then, incidentally, went on to slag them (and the venue) mercilessly at Lerwick Legion the following night. God knows what they said about the Legion/Shetland after they left.

I agree with the final point on Halls, how can we get older folk back to the halls?, from experience Whalsay and Yell have good mixed age crowds at Hall gigs, maybe mainland halls can learn something from them?

For me that is the biggest problem with the Shetland Rock music scene, if we could get older people attending hall gigs and get more halls to be willing to host gigs I think things would be looking even brighter.

Whalsay and Yell have a different social perspective and, forgive me for saying it, much fewer options for a night out so, when a hall event is 'on' a much wider portion of the community is interested.

Lerwick, on the other hand, is big enough to offer something to suit most age groups and there is a perception that 'kids' have taken over at the halls. From what I've seen, they have also taken over at Posers, The North Star, Flints etc..

Perhaps the solution would be to encourage country halls to be 'over 18 only'. Trouble is, that would prevent a lot of bands from playing but, at least they wouldn't be playing to an empty room

You might also as yourself why, if cover bands don't make for a vibrant music scene, were Moder Dy, Suppository Business, Sufferin Aunties/Sparticus etc. so busy and well liked. Talent will always show through.

PS. I know they played their own stuff as well but they ALL started playing covers.

I'm not disputing the fact that the aforementioned bands weren't popular because they were/are (Moder Dy still exist) but members of all those bands are now playing in bands playing original music.

I just think that everyone now believes that they are 'nowhere' unless they can throw in their own stuff. I'm not knocking anyone for trying. In fact the opposite is true. I just wish that, sometimes, they (the bands) would be a little more critical of their own work.

That's probably fairly true, I'm not sure what you mean by meing more critical of their own work though?.

Whalsay and Yell have a different social perspective and, forgive me for saying it, much fewer options for a night out so, when a hall event is 'on' a much wider portion of the community is interested.

Lerwick, on the other hand, is big enough to offer something to suit most age groups and there is a perception that 'kids' have taken over at the halls. From what I've seen, they have also taken over at Posers, The North Star, Flints etc..

Perhaps the solution would be to encourage country halls to be 'over 18 only'. Trouble is, that would prevent a lot of bands from playing but, at least they wouldn't be playing to an empty room

I realise that the isles have fewer options for a night out which explains the mixed age crowds, what can be done to try and change that perception?, maybe making the hall gigs strictly over 18 coul be an option, seems a bit severe but maybe its the only way?

Guest Anonymous

That's probably fairly true, I'm not sure what you mean by being more critical of their own work though?.

Fairly simple really. 'Audience Participation'. More attention should be given to the response from the crowd. Not out to cause offence here so, apologies in advance but, I've seen a couple of bands that seem to indulge in a bit of an 'ego trip' when they go on stage and carry on with their 'own' set regardless.

The bottom line is that they are there, being PAID, to provide entertainment. If they can't get their heads around that, they might as well play to an empty room.

I realise that the isles have fewer options for a night out which explains the mixed age crowds, what can be done to try and change that perception?, maybe making the hall gigs strictly over 18 coul be an option, seems a bit severe but maybe its the only way?

My comment was a little 'tounge in cheek' but it does highlight the fact that community halls are just that. They belong to he community and not just one age group. Few people of my age (which can best be described as advancing rapidly ) would want to attend a night featuring loud music and 14 year olds. Pity really because I think involvement of older people would help moderate some of the more outlandish behaviour, underage drinking etc. that takes place at these events.

On the positive side, halls have provided a launch pad for young bands and, hopefully, will continue to do so. Certainly, Scalloway seems to be commited to this and, to the best of my knowledge, will continue for as long as there is a demand.

I've seen a couple of bands that seem to indulge in a bit of an 'ego trip' when they go on stage and carry on with their 'own' set regardless.

The bottom line is that they are there, being PAID, to provide entertainment.

a band having their own set?? preposterous! how can they have the audacity to carry on playing their songs like they've been paid to do when there's some inhebriated knuckle-draggers wanting to hear 'knocking on heaven's door'?

no offence, like. but playing what everybody wants to hear isn't a terribly progressive approach. if everybody did that every band would be a tribute band.

a band isn't there to entertain you, they are there to do their thing. if you don't like it you are free to leave.

I've seen a couple of bands that seem to indulge in a bit of an 'ego trip' when they go on stage and carry on with their 'own' set regardless.

a band having their own set?? preposterous! how can they have the audacity to carry on playing their songs like they've been paid to do when there's some inhebriated knuckle-draggers wanting to hear 'knocking on heaven's door'?

no offence, like. but playing what everybody wants to hear isn't a terribly progressive approach. if everybody did that every band would be a tribute band.

a band isn't there to entertain you, they are there to do their thing. if you don't like it you are free to leave.

You said it best

Exactly, I completely agree

Guest Anonymous

You said it best

Who said it best? You replied quoting 2 posts.