Hildinakvadet

deardron

Hmmm, it must be a British thing, I hear for the 1st time about it.. But if you mean that JSTOR link, AFAIC it doesn't have Hægstad's article, but rather a review of it. "Store norske leksikon" seems to have it, but it costs a lot. I'm currently thinking of other ways of getting it, if it works I'll post a link here.

• 5 months later...

Now, that´s interesting.

Being a native Faroese speaker, I did understand appr. ¾ of this “kvade†(ballad). But since it was written in a phonetic notation, (the way it was heard), by a person who had no knowledge of norse spelling, it was difficult for me to figure out the more corrupted words.

But if I rewrite the verses in Faroese in a similar phonetic notation, the resemblance is striking.

Dialect versions of the same language really.

Here´s one of the verses that was easily understandable for me.

V.18

......Norn................................Faroese..............................English translation

Nu Jarlin an genger............Nú Jadlin hann gengur...........Now the Earl he steps

I vadlin fram.......................í vødlin fram...........................out into the field.

U kadnar sina mien............O kadlar sínar menn...............And calls on his men:

Geven skeger i Orkneyan...Gævu skeggjar í Orknoyun....Brave "Skeger†of Orkney!

Skeger (Skeggjar) actually means â€Bearded men†or “Beards†i.e. "Macho Men".

Hence: “Brave Macho Men of Orkneyâ€. :twisted: ......... humble, weren´t they?

A common nickname for Island Men in the norse era, was “Eyja –skeggjar†which means "Island-Beards".

I guess they hadn´t invented “Sheep-shaggers†back then :lol:

• 7 months later...

It's probably more fascinating when we take into account that Low himself did not speak the Foula dialect. As I said in the text on Shetlopedia quoting more or less his own words: He just wrote down what he had heard ... probably making some mistakes and so unwilingly adding to some differences in the two "dialects" which originally did not exist ... ;-)