ASP (Active Server Pages)

peeriebryan

I need to suss out a way to execute ASP vbscript pages on my mac, or a cheap/ free host

I'm running Apache server on my mac, but it seems I have to tinker too much for my liking to get it to run ASP, so I'm thinking to try some sort of free host which will allow me to develop locally, but ftp for testing

Any ideas?

Forget VBScript on a *nix based machine. If you want to run VBScript server side as part of an Active Server Page go for a native Windows box.

Chillisoft ASP which is now Sun Java ASP can run VBScript up to 5.5 as well as JScript (thats not JavaScript!) 5.5 on *nix - it isn't free. It'll do the job though?! but good luck to you trying to get it to function 100% as ASP would on an IIS server especially connecting through ADO etc. to a database as most of the scripts you find on the web do. i.e. connection to MS Access for starters. You could just alter the code to use ODBC. Not for the novice! If you're coding from the bottom up it will probably be your best bet?!

Theres an Apache mod_perl plugin called Apache::ASP that will make you want to gouge your eyes out that you could also try!

If you happen to be coding in C# you can for the most part get ASP and now ASP.NET to work on *nix with MONO and be 99% sure that it'll function on an IIS server utilising C#. I've fiddled around with this but have'nt much to say about it.

Other option is to run a virtual machine through something like VMWare and have Windows run natively on your machine? Is it the x86 architecture that you have or is it PowerPC? If so forget that!

• 4 weeks later...

Is there something similar to VMWare for Macs, where you could install a Virtual Windows Operating System. Then you could grab yourself a free 180 day trial copy of Server 2003, install IIS and give it a bash?

You probably would find some ASP hosting relatively cheap these days, as an alternative.