Maunsies Crö

Guest Anonymous

Looked in that book that came out in, I think the 60's?? Not sure if I'm minding the title right even, "Northern Lights" was it?? A tall but quite thin dark blue hardback, it had two stories in the back, one was Tom's een about Moad, the rest of the book was poetry/prose.

I don't have a copy here to check either title or contents, and it's years since I saw it last so I'm not minding very well, but it might be worth a try....

Guest Anonymous

Thanks,, I forgot it was in that one.

Trouble is that book is like rocking horse poop, impossible to find..

Pity it couldn't be re-published..

Of course, If anybody has a copy of it that they would sell, let me know.

Wonder if the poem appeared anywhere else???

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

I have a copy of Nordern Lichts - John J Graham and Tammy Alec - published by T & J Manson 1964. Auld Maunsie's Crö is the first piece in it.

I don't want to sell the book but am happy to photocopy the four pages and post them - if I recall you are somewhere furth of Shetland anyway?

Guest Anonymous

Yup, Filska,

That's the book in question. I'd still like to get the book, but if I don't get any results on that front I would be delighted to get a copy of that poem.

Reason I want it is that I used to remember all the verses, when I was under the influence of certain mind bending liquids,, but cleaner living and lack of memory due to age means that I need a refresher course. :lol:

I'll PM you if I need a copy, and as I live 'oot o da isle', I can arrange a local address.. :) Thanks again for the offer. :D

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

Guest Anonymous

^^^^^ I tried a look at the Library website, but their catalogue won't open...most likely due to lack of space in new building :lol: :lol:

I'm sure they will have it, but don't fancy swimming the north sea to look for it.. :lol:

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

^^^ Probaly not that pricey if out of print as suggested by Amazon. I was raking around on an antiquarian website some few months ago and amazed to see copies of some of the books which I have simply bought in the Times shop over the years - such as Northwards by Sea I think - being offered for over £100 just for rarity value. Quite scary. Glad this thread has drawn my attention to A Shetland Anthology which looks lovely even though I already have a number of its contents in other volumes. Might just get the Times to send me one!

BTW photocopy offer still stands although appreciate much less pleasure to be gained from couple of scruffy sheets of paper than from actual volume.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Guys for all your help.

FilskaDa Cat, thanks for offer of copy but I'm going to order, most likely, both those books.

The Northern Lichts one just for the pleasure of owning that book, and infact it is cheaper than I expected.

The other Anthology just looks like a 'must have' book. :D

Again, thanks to Shetlinkers for all the help.

Cheers,

Da Auld Een