What does Islandhopper do?

AndDenWeMadeTea

I am always intrigued and intersted by the knowledgeable, factual, concise and informative entries and replies by Islandhopper on these threads. These seem to cover a whole range of topics.

I wonder if Islandhopper can actually shed some light upon what he/she does for a living, and if he/she is working whilst entering a lot of the information on this site.

Keep it up Islandhopper - this site would be a lot poorer without you.

again i have always erred on the side that Hamburg was a bluff.. or perhaps a double bluff as I expect he/she spends time travelling to these here isles a lot.

news reporter has never an occupation that I have thought of.. but now it is mentioned :strokeschin:

... in short for now because I want to visit a pub with some friends from Thurso ... ;-)

Well, the last time that I 'wrote da news' is some 45 years ago - that was our monthly school paper ... ;-)

... and yes, I'm living in Hamburg. Go to http://maps.google.de/ and search for > Hamburg Suhrenkamp 4 < (it's not the actual address but that shows the best result). I'm just now in that Z-shaped building below the marker, look at the lower horizontal bar ... extrem RHS the window that is partly covered by the tree standing in front of it ... :-D

cheers ... read you tomorrow ... friends are calling ;-)

A man of mystery...a man from far away...a man with no past...no present...maybe some future...a man that contributes a lot to Shetlink.

Shetlink has always been a place that respects peoples privacy and this thread (to me) is borderline on infringing that right. There are many people that come and go through the Shetlink forums that I would like to pinpoint to a certain person but sometimes the anonymity of it all helps make Shetlink what it is.

People can voice their views without being brought down in a backlash of slander. This can often happen in a small community such as Shetland. This is one of the things that makes Shetlink a great outlet. People can air their views without being shot down for it. Anybody that wants to reveal their identity can do so. Those that don't have the right to privacy as much as anyone else.

... and yes, I'm living in Hamburg. Go to http://maps.google.de/ and search for > Hamburg Suhrenkamp 4 < (it's not the actual address but that shows the best result). I'm just now in that Z-shaped building below the marker, look at the lower horizontal bar ... extrem RHS the window that is partly covered by the tree standing in front of it ... :-D

Hell, looks like I 've walked in some dozens meters from your home :? Last year I visited Hamburg (Bönningstedt) and it so happened that I walked from the airport to the Ohlsdorf station, and that in a rather crooked way before I found it :D

So friends are on the night train to Vienna ... :-D

Shetlink has always been a place that respects peoples privacy and this thread (to me) is borderline on infringing that right.

Agreed - as a principle of privacy policy for a local community forum. On the other hand I'm convinced that locals do have some right to know, who in hell is mixing in from outside ... ;-) and it's absolutely ok as far as I'm concerned. No prob at all.

A man of mystery...
Not at all. The little prob is that just today shetlopedia is down, otherwise I would have placed a link to my user page there ... same nick, in case someone wants to look tomorrow ... ;-)

a man from far away...
Nowadays that's right. In better times it was just 1/2 an hour bicycle ride to the train station, 1/2 bicycle ride to Hanstholm pier to catch the old Norönna ... next morning you passed by Sumburgh Head and Foula ... well, the morning thereafter you had the hard job to cycle from Holmsgarth pier to Clickimin camping site ... :-D

no present...
... at least "uncertain". Since 1st August I'm enjoying the 'new freedom of early retirement' due to some health probs (caught some nasty bugs when working in San Pedro Sula / Honduras ages ago) which do hinder me at the moment to travel physically ... :-(

maybe some future...
Well, aged 58, I do hope so ... although "the varnish has gone" as we use to say here ... :-D

The rest in shorthand:

- studied geography, German literature and lingustics, social siences ... wanted to become a teacher but gave up when I decovered the beaurocracy behind the job

- professional career: research and consultancy in the wider range of housing, urban renewal, reconstruction and development, later regional development (less favoured areas; tourism) both on national and international level

- after the runion of the two Germanies founded a new business with some friends as free lance consultants to trade unions, the newly formed local authorities and non profit businesses within the former GDR and later in the new EU member states covering (within the team) the whole range from office management to man power development and professional training.

- now and although officially retired backstopper and "fire fighter" for that team trying to keep the girls in the home office busy ... :-D

Because I had to travel a lot for the job I decided that my holiday destination has to be cooler, wetter and windier than most of the places I had to visit ... that's why I ended up in Scotland and in Orkney and Shetland in particular some 30 years ago. :idea: For more details, please, feel free and visit me on Shetlopedia ... :lol: