Does Shetland have a Vet service for low income families?

drewloe

vets are usually pretty discretionary. still amazed at my mother's bill for a late night call out (he travelled at least 20miles), x-ray and injection, it was less than the excess on my first pet insurance. Found out M&S doesn't have an excess, so switched to them, a couple of quid every month was better than the worry of having to pay a huge bill in one go.

Explain to reception about your financial worries, it wont be anything they haven't come across before, if the vet's worth it's salt they wont see an animal suffer just because you can't pay your bill in one go.

^^^ The vets in Lerwick were great with me on a late night call out - only charged me about £7 - the cost of the antibiotic and steroid injection. If you have no luck with that or more expensive treatment is needed, try speaking to the Cats Protection League. I'm not sure if it's still running, but they used to part fund neutering in Shetland. Although it's not the same thing, I think they do have a fund for helping folk pay for vets bills if they can't afford it. Hope the cat gets better!

Update

just rang PDSA 0800731 2502 and for people on housing or council tax benefit they will make a contribution of up to £100 if the vets bill is over £40 but won't pay if you have already paid it, so make a small deposit on your bill and explain you are claiming help from the PDSA.

Anyone know of a vet near to unst that can be accessed via public transport or do I need to go to Lerwick?

• 1 month later...