Calcutta Cup

Marooned in Maywick

I was lucky enough to be in Embra for the Calcutta Cup match of 1990.

England, as the Press would have had us believe, had only to turn up to collect not only the CC but also to take the Grand Slam and the Five Nations.

David Sole and Scotland had other ideas and put in a magnificent performance (with some incredible defensive play holding England just a few nailbiting yards from the try line) to lift the trophies.

I had made several drink-fuelled outlandish bets with some English friends in the week leading up to this game and magnanimously allowed them to be commutated to cases of beer or bottles of whisky as we enjoyed one almighty party that night.

John Jeffries and some of the English players must have had a similarly wild night as they were reputed to have played rugby with the Calcutta Cup itself up the Royal Mile during some of the post match shennaigans :shock:

Listened to 1st half on radio and managed to catch 2nd half on TV (commentary on both superb) especially funny when TV commentary team counted doon da seconds - Jumped around for 40mins urging da lads on. If anybody had seen me spanging aboot they widn't hiv had a clue whit wis goin on. Happy days!! :D